PDA

View Full Version : exhuast rattle :(

bobafett
05-02-2002, 12:16 AM
when i downshift from 3 > 2nd... or when the rpms are at certain spots, what sounds like my exhaust rattles like a bitch...

also when i am sitting (prolly does it when moving, but i havent "heard" it then) and rev up past 3k, it will make a rattly noise that i cant stand....

i am a car idiot, so i dont know what could be happening, and i dont know what i ought to do to fix it, or diagnose the real problem...

i was thinking it might be a good time for me to look into an upgraded exhaust system , what do you guys find works best? 2.5", 3"??? i am new to these cars, i spent my last few months learning all about eclipses... lol...

1988starter
05-02-2002, 05:15 AM
3" oh god that it big. Go with 2.25 unless you have some major mods on your car. and the ratteling is probably on your heatshield. Look underneath to findout where it is hitting while your car is running if you need it reved have a friend do it.

bobafett
05-02-2002, 09:26 AM
k... well right now i have NO mods... but i figure if i am gonna fix this exhaust, and it needs replacing, then i might as well upgrade... but if 2.25 is fine, then i will do it... theres no sense in useless mods... :)

btw, would 2.5 or 3 be good if i had an engine swap and or a turbo setup?? if so i may consider those options, since i plan on making this car MOVE! :D

bobafett
05-02-2002, 11:43 AM
sorry to be a newbie., but what/where is the heat sheild, i just dont know what i am looking for~

Don87LX
05-02-2002, 12:51 PM
its the brass/ steel looking plae on the front of the engine covering the exaust manifold. It is supposed to keep the exaust heat away from the powersteeing/air conditioning hoses. and kee the engine in generally cooler. just let the car sit so it is completely cold then look donw into the engine from above and up from underneeth and see if it is loose any where. if you cant find it that way, have a friend start the car and rev it wearing a beefy work glove or an oven mitt and press on the heat sheild to kill vibration. Dont do this long as the Exaust manifold get pretty damn hot pretty damn quick and take a long time to cool down. If you hurt yourself its not my fault.

iiviasterp
05-02-2002, 02:37 PM
where is the rattle coming from? i had the same problem a while back, my exhaust would rattle above 3 grand..... obviously it isnt the same problem because mine was the exhaust rattling on my short shifter cause we took the heat shield under the car off and never put it back on. But if its comin from under the car, make sure all the hangers are on, you might have just had a hanger come loose.

1988starter
05-02-2002, 05:51 PM
2.5 might not be bad if you had intake header highflow cat or test pipe cam regring port and polish you know the works and 3 inch would be ok with a turbo that is what justin has.

adams86lxi
05-01-2003, 08:09 PM
the rattlling is probally the welds inside the muffler wearing out. Its just getting old. Time for that aftermarket muffler!

86AccordLxi
05-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Dude...that post is from one year ago....don't need to bring it back up....welcome to the board though.

alex

bobafett
05-02-2003, 12:23 PM
yeah i had some gravel in the heat sheild i think..

dunno it was a year ago, and the shit went away when i got my exhaust on. lol now i know where the heat shield is too! :)