PDA

View Full Version : MPG/Heat problem solved?!

johnwc723
01-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Well this is really for anyone who may have this problem ever and just to say i think i solved it hopefully and thanks for everones help:

I did end up putting cardboard in front of the radiator (had to use 2 smaller pieces) and i drove around for a little bit, i really had thought my temp sensor was shot but sure enough it began to warm up and show at the half and half. the next thing i noticed was because my car has been running all winter fuked up when it was warmed up my idle was at about 200RPM because i had to screw the adjustment screw so much to get it to not idle too high.

Im pretty sure now that the thermostat has been stuck open and allowing my engine to never reach anywhere near the correct operating temperature hopefully this will also improve gas mileage (greatly?) when i put in a new thermostat tomorrow.

Out of curiosity i touched the engine with my hand earlier before the cardboard and it was luke warm anywhere on the engine.. im assuming that the valve cover should be a "not able to touch for more than a second area" right? this is how it was after the cardboard.

i just hope it is the thermostat and not something more sinister..... i guess ill find out tomorrow

one little question tho, you guys think i should get the "HONDA OEM THERMOSTAT" from the dealer, (im gonna go there for a gasket anways, checker is out of them), you think it may last longer/ not fail after 6 months like the current one, if i use a honda one rather than a slant one?

thanks for all help guys, maybe i can finally enjoy spending ALOT less at the pump, and maybe even enjoy better performance

danronian
01-27-2004, 09:19 PM
I wouldnt go with a honda one mainly b/c of price, I would go with a "heavy duty" stant unit b/c I bought the cheap one and didn't replace the old one b/c it looked so cheap and flimsy compared to the old heavy duty stant thermostat that was in the car. Before installing it I would test it in a pot of boiling water to make sure it open (and at the specified temp. if you have a meat thermometer).

johnwc723
01-27-2004, 09:41 PM
hmm they dont sell any slant heavy duty ones :( how much you guys think a honda one will cost? :\

shepherd79
01-28-2004, 05:38 AM
the termostat can cost from any where $2 to $25.
it is your pick. i have $6 in my car for 3 years and it still working.

johnwc723
01-28-2004, 05:56 AM
alright i guess ill go to the dealer and if they want anything more than $15 for it im goin with the slant! thanks guys

TINBOAT
01-28-2004, 06:13 AM
Autozone, or Advanced auto parts sells them here...just under 5 bucks. Make sure you get the gasket...."STANT"

johnwc723
01-28-2004, 04:16 PM
well i put in a new thermostat, i ended up buying the honda oem one and the oem gasket, total of only 16$$!! not to mention it looks rediclously more substantial than the stant one.

i looked at my old thermostat and it was put in the wrong way... wow makes me feel pretty damn dumb, i guess i should payed more attention when i put it in last time, well at least now i got a good quality one in there along with an actual gasket

goes to show make sure you put stuff in the right way!!, this little act of stupidity cost me probably hundreds of dollars in gas (we will see if the mileage is better) as well as reduced engine life and of course i froze my ass of many times because of being dumb... :(

88vert
02-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Do you see any difference yet?

johnwc723
02-02-2004, 10:48 PM
yeah im gettin ALOT better engine preformance as well as better gas mileage (i did just replace my sparks but they werent all that bad anways)