PDA

View Full Version : Tips on how to clean the engine compartment

whyterice
01-28-2004, 01:02 PM
What is the best way to get the engine compartment all cleaned up?

k-roy
01-28-2004, 01:22 PM
hehe, you asked the right guy.
Ok get a few plastic bags, rubber bands, power steering fluid, rags, foaming engine cleaner, simple green degreaser, can of electrical parts cleaner, can of trusty carb cleaner and a stiff nylon brush. You can get all this stuff at a parts store.

Disconnect the battery and pull of the intake. Put plastic bags and rubber bands around the distributor, throttle body or carb, and the coil. Then spray everything down with a hose to get it all wet. Then spray the foaming engine cleaner over the engine and let it soak in. Then scrub down what you can with the brush and hose it off. do that a few times. Simple green is good for the small things and the hard to reach places with a rag. Carb cleaner is good for metallic parts. After its all good spray it down with the hose real good to wash off all the chemicals. Then disconnect al the harnesses and spray the electrical cleaner on all the contacts. Let it dry for a fe and hook all it back up. Then put a small amount of PS fluid on a rag and rub it on all the rubber hoses. Its good for cleaning them and it makes them look better than new. Plus its a good time to check for cracks or leaks too. Aflter all this remove the plastic bags. Put everything except the intake back together. Start it up and spray the carb sleaner into the throttle body or the carb. Open the throttle plate by hand and spray in there. Start it up and then spray some more cleaner in the TB/carb. Make it as shiney as possible. Then hook the intake back up. Oh yea you might as well pull out your PCV valve and clean it out with carb cleaner to make sure it works well. This is a good opritunity to visually inspect everything. If you doo all these steps your engine should look great! Have fun!

BDaccordguy
01-28-2004, 01:24 PM
alright, what i do is take a plastic bag and cover the distributor (clamp with a rubber band or something). Make sure u havent driven the car in a while so its cooled down and the hose that baby off. I like to use the Orange Cleaner stuff (cant remember the exact name) and just spray that on there and let it sit for bout 5 mins. then use a small brush and scrub everything u can, then spray it off. Then, to make sure everything looks good, get a chamois and wipe everything down (helps with the dirt and grime u may have missed) an voila!, your engine bay should be pretty well clean. If u feel the need to shine things up use armor all or something, just be careful where u put it cuz some of that stuff is flamable.

BDaccordguy
01-28-2004, 01:25 PM
wow kroy, we must have been writing those out at the same time, and except for taking the engine apart, its pretty much the same. Haha.

lightbulblxi
01-28-2004, 01:44 PM
just but a couple cans of black and clearcoat spray paint! lol.

whyterice
01-31-2004, 03:45 PM
What about where the spark plugs go into the block? Do I need to cover those to?

k-roy
01-31-2004, 03:52 PM
What about where the spark plugs go into the block? Do I need to cover those to?
As long as the plugs are in there there is not going to be any problem.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
01-31-2004, 04:56 PM
What is the best way to get the engine compartment all cleaned up?
Pore Gas all over it lite a match and let it burn Clean Just playing Kroy way is better :beer: :bandit:

Rendon LX-i
01-31-2004, 05:35 PM
yeah u simple green and since its not harmful and then i just tire forming shine shit. after it dryed and it looks like new. Oh yeah dont wash it when its hot or after u done running it. cuz then your motor will go CRACK. i dont think u want that. i learn that with my old car. Dogde shadow.lol cracked the head.

Josh

k-roy
01-31-2004, 05:37 PM
yeah u simple green and since its not harmful and then i just tire forming shine shit. after it dryed and it looks like new. Oh yeah dont wash it when its hot or after u done running it. cuz then your motor will go CRACK. i dont think u want that. i learn that with my old car. Dogde shadow.lol cracked the head.

Josh
Actually the reason shoadow heads crack is because they used steel water jackets inside a aluminum head. Thats why I went through 5 head gaskets and 2 heads in 5 years. Damn DSMs.

Rendon LX-i
01-31-2004, 05:45 PM
yeah i know. lol. idk about dodge these days.lol

88accordalltheway
02-08-2004, 06:47 PM
IM going to do it the hard and tedious way, with a rag and soapy water. Wish me good luck guies, ive never cleaned my engine b4 and im gunna do it tomorow cause i have the day off of school.Woo Hoo, i guess.