PDA

View Full Version : HELP. water in the oil pan

NXRacer
01-28-2004, 08:30 PM
so i went to change out the old oil in my new motor and about 2 quarts of water came out. anybody know how to displace water thats in the oil pan? I know this could mean i have a huge problem but i'm gonna think positive and maybe just a bunch of water got it it from the motor sitting outside for an extended period of time.

can i just run a bunch of oil through it and get all the water out?

dXsquared
01-28-2004, 09:05 PM
hmm.. get some bulk WD40... pour it in the oil dip stick.. then drain it and recycle it

Travis

shepherd79
01-29-2004, 05:33 AM
what color was the water?
was it coolant?

TINBOAT
01-29-2004, 05:44 AM
..sounds pretty serious...the WD40 thing aint a bad idea, I would rather get a couple of gallons of diesel, and pour it directly into the oil filler, right up to the top. Let it sit for awhile, then drain it out...pull the spark plugs and spin the engine over fer about 15 seconds....but before cleaning out, or flushing out your engine, the first thing I would want to know is how the water got in there in the first place....how long has the car been sitting ??

k-roy
01-29-2004, 05:45 AM
I doubt running oil through it will do much. Water is much lighter than oil and will just float. Personally I would pull off the pan and let it all drain out.

nswst8
01-29-2004, 05:45 AM
Well you have to explain alittle more. Is this a spare engine that was sitting outside in the weather or is this an engine in a car that was running.
If it's a running engine then you've probably have a blown head gasket at the least.
If it's a exposed engine then its going to have to be cleaned up before you try to run it.
Hope this helps
NSWST8 :cheers:

AZmike
01-29-2004, 08:55 AM
I doubt running oil through it will do much. Water is much lighter than oil and will just float. Personally I would pull off the pan and let it all drain out.

Oil is less dense than water. The oil would be on top after they separated.

NXRacer
01-29-2004, 09:10 AM
i bought the motor from kicker and he said it had sat outside for a while and that may be the cause of the water. About 2 quarts of CLEAR water came out of the drain plug. I ran a quart of oil through the motor and as it was draining i blew compressed air through the dipstick to try and get as much of the residual water out as i could. Im gonna run it for a little bit and then drain all the oil out and put new oil in and see what happens.

I've heard using diesel works, but somebody recently did that to my dad's old accord and it really f***ed things up so i dont wanna try that. WD40 is a good idea but i dont know if that'll hurt anything.

TINBOAT
01-29-2004, 09:17 AM
WD40 will mess things up worse than diesel...it will ruin every seal...pull the drain plug, and leave it for a few hours...change the oil and filter and hope for the best....good idea to pull the valve cover and blow off any risidual water on top of the head...as long as it's not milkshakey looking oil, you should be okay. If there is a very little bit of water left in the engine, it will steam away once the oil is at a hot operation temperature.
Good Luck !!!

Dibbs
01-29-2004, 09:27 AM
I still wonder how that much water got in the oilpan. Was the valve cover off or something? Oil filler cap? The water is not going to be as corrosive as anti-freeze but it's still not a good thing to have in your engine.

Anyhow, I'd run it for a LITTLE BIT then change it. I mean like drive it around town for a little bit and change it. The water will emulsify with the oil, thus disabling it from completely doing it's job. If there is enough water left in the engine you should see when you drain it that it's discolored and cloudy (milky). Repeat the process until this goes away. Drive it 500 miles, then change oil and filter.

NXRacer
01-29-2004, 09:47 AM
as i was draining the water out, a TINY bit of cloudy water/oil came out in the end (about 3-4 oz). I think it'll be ok if i just change the oil a few times for the first couple hundred miles.

now i just need to get the timing right and i'll be driving that SOB again.