PDA

View Full Version : lxi dyno'd stock and w/intake

othick
01-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Well I just got back from the dyno. I must say it was the most fun I've ever had dynoing a car and the people there got a kick out of it. The car is a 87lxi 4 door auto (110hp stock). I just bought it and haven't even driven it home yet so it's in "as is" condition.
Here are some highlights since my scanner is not hooked up
Dyno 1:
2500rpm - 44hp/94tq
3600rpm - 64hp/96.6tq (peak tq)
4500rpm - 80hp/94tq
5400rpm - 86.8hp/84tq (peak hp)
6700rpm - 66hp/52tq (rev limiter)

Dyno 2:
83hp/94tq (car getting hotter)

dyno 3:
added an intake and made 86hp and 96tq again, so maybe the intake got me 3hp, or maybe 0hp? But I came in with 86hp and left with 86hp. My next mod is either a b16 intake manifold or a cam depending on when colt sends me my cam back. I do know there is a lot of room for improvment in the high rpm's because at about 5000rpm the torque curve nosedives and a better flowing manifold or cam would help a lot. I will have a friend post the actual graphs once I get some more stuff done.

k-roy
01-29-2004, 01:37 PM
You really need exaughst work with a header if you want to start making power.

othick
01-29-2004, 01:41 PM
A header I will do but the exhaust has to stay quiet. I might do 2.25" mandrel bent pipes up to a 2.25" stock muffler I don't want this car loud.

shepherd79
01-29-2004, 01:53 PM
if you want stock sound, get dynomax superturbo. it is high flow muffler, but if you use 2.5" exaust tip it will sound just like stock.
make sure you keep some kind resonator or it will sound a little louder.

dXsquared
01-29-2004, 03:08 PM
run 2.5 inch pipe to a cheap stock tone replacement muffler with 2.5 inch pipes
Travis

racerx
01-29-2004, 03:20 PM
just use the pacesetter cat-back. it wont be 2db's louder than stock. trust me, i know.
everyone keeps complaining about how annoyingly quiet that system is.
the plus, though, is that it is still 2.25" and will improve your power as much as any other cat-back.
i would not recommend the dynomax muffler! that is the recommended alternative to pacesetter because its alot louder.
a tip will not make hardly any difference in sound. i mean come on, you dont hear an ominous roar coming from the back of a geo metro with a 4" tip from Pepboys, do you?

NXRacer
01-29-2004, 04:16 PM
thats pretty depressing to see those numbers......even more incentive to BOOST! :rockon:

1988starter
01-29-2004, 04:17 PM
just use the pacesetter cat-back. it wont be 2db's louder than stock. trust me, i know.
the plus, though, is that it is still 2.25" and will improve your power as much as any other cat-back.
i would not recommend the dynomax muffler! that is the recommended alternative to pacesetter because its alot louder.
a tip will not make hardly any difference in sound. i mean come on, you dont hear an ominous roar coming from the back of a geo metro with a 4" tip from Pepboys, do you?

After I cut off the pacesetter muffler and added a dynomax there was a very nice power gain I felt Almost nothing with the pacesetter.

Cyric_accord
01-29-2004, 04:45 PM

If you think that the tip makes no difference, you're dead wrong.... lemme drive my car to you... The tip on my quiet, stock muffler was shorn off somehow and now it sounds like your typical fart-can civic, with a slightly deeper tone between 2-3.5k rpm, then you can't hear it cause engine noise takes over.

But the tip can make a difference, i know... thus my new muffler
http://images.andale.com/f2/117/127/12182227/click2enlarge/1058734181087_nb14a.jpg

BensAccordLxi
01-29-2004, 05:18 PM
I only made 96hp and 111 ftlbs of torque with intake, muffler, and 6al ignition.

lightbulblxi
01-29-2004, 06:10 PM
yea man, thats pretty low.

Cyric_accord
01-29-2004, 06:46 PM
yea man, thats pretty low.

Well you realize that you lose horsepower to your accessories and from the transmisson as torque and horsepower is put to the wheels.

so to only lose ~24 horsepower isn't all that bad, some cars lose close to 50 horses from the crank to the wheels.

86AccordLxi
01-29-2004, 07:39 PM
But those cars are starting out with more to begin with. You lose a percentage of power to parasitic loss, so obviously with more power, the same percentage lost will equal a loss of more total hp.

Alex

BensAccordLxi
01-29-2004, 07:51 PM
After I got the new tranny, ACT stage 2 clutch, Cam, Header, Blaster SS coil, and MSD 8.5mm wires I put down 124hp and 118 ftlbs. It helped to have the valves adjusted after each dyno run.

racerx
01-29-2004, 10:23 PM
After I cut off the pacesetter muffler and added a dynomax there was a very nice power gain I felt Almost nothing with the pacesetter.

really?? i wouldnt think so... but i guess the dnyomax must be a bit straighter than the pacesetter... who knew?

If you think that the tip makes no difference, you're dead wrong.... lemme drive my car to you... The tip on my quiet, stock muffler was shorn off somehow and now it sounds like your typical fart-can civic, with a slightly deeper tone between 2-3.5k rpm, then you can't hear it cause engine noise takes over.

mm-hmm... well, in my experience (and my friends') it has not made any difference. perhaps when your tip got "shorn off" the muffler took some damage too and there's a hole somewhere. or maybe there's a hole in your piping... if all there was to sound was the tip, then hardly anyone would bother with a muffler at all, dont ya think?
i dont know. i guess anythings possible...

btw, your new muffler looks PHAT!

BITESIZE
01-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Those scores=poopy!

1988starter
01-29-2004, 10:33 PM
The pacesetter exhaust is crap when tested by grassroots it barely gained more that 1 HP when a crimp bent dynomax was tested on the same car same pipesize it gained 4.1 HP

othick
01-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Hey I know those numbers suck, but really think about. 110hp and an automatic transmission. I wouldn't doubt if the auto tranny lost 20% of the power, then your looking at 88whp. This car has 137k on it and was not only stock but god knows when it was serviced last. On the other hand if you had an 88lxi (120hp) and a 15%-20% loss with a 5spd you could see 96-102whp stock. Look at bensaccordlxi, he made 96whp.

Btw-bensaccordlxi what cam did you run? Did you dyno your car at apex? I've seen you around town, I think once you tried to race me in my silver ae86 and I thought that your car actually looked a lot like an ae86. 124hp is pretty good for that motor, have you run at the track? I'm taking my del sol saturday morning.

BITESIZE
01-29-2004, 11:24 PM
That's why you need to do a 5 speed swap and quit giving exuses.

othick
01-29-2004, 11:37 PM
All in time! I haven't even gotten it home yet. Seriously I've done my share of 5spd swaps and going to the junk yard, pulling a 5spd/clutch/flywheel/axles/pedals/shifter/cable...etc. Just a pain, then putting it in, it would take all weekend! I think I should just turbo it and let the auto tranny explode first, that would be more fun. Besides I love to break things. You should have seen us bouncing off the rev-limiter laughing at the dyno. I thought the whole car was going to explode. Anyway bitesize I saw your write up on your swap and it looks pretty straight forward, lots of good info. I like how you fit under your dash, too bad I'm 6'2"

A20A1
01-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Compression check?

BITESIZE
01-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Yah it was fun!!

foobari
02-02-2004, 05:21 AM
Well you realize that you lose horsepower to your accessories and from the transmisson as torque and horsepower is put to the wheels.

so to only lose ~24 horsepower isn't all that bad, some cars lose close to 50 horses from the crank to the wheels.
I made 124hp to the wheels, transmission losses were 20hp totalling 144hp at the crank.

http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=27388

modu03
02-02-2004, 09:41 PM

uh... pacesetter... quiet... ya, I set off car alarms with my pacesetter exhaust, not as easily as I did when I had no muffler, but the pacesetter is not a quiet muffler. I am actually thinking of cutting it off and popping in something a little less noisy. I have not seen people complaining about how quiet that system is. I should get a recording of my exhaust and post it.

Rendon LX-i
02-02-2004, 10:00 PM
ATHICK is your car Auto. if it is thats why your scores are so low man. manual suspose to be 114 at the wheels 4500 RPMS.

86AccordLxi
02-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Uh...it's not 114 at the wheels, it's at the crank. All cars' hp ratings from the factory are rated from the crank.

Alex

Rendon LX-i
02-02-2004, 10:26 PM
lol. okay man wat ever u say. maybe my car just in good shape and has the power. or something. when i bought the car from the owner he had dyno slips saying my car had over 114 at the wheels. he said the motor was worked on a little. thats what my friends say to. but i guess watever. late

86AccordLxi
02-02-2004, 10:49 PM
If your motor was worked on a little, then it's not stock, is it?? So a stock car probalby wouldn't be making 114 whp as your 'worked on' motor would, would it?

In any event, cars from the factory have a hp rating taken at the crank, thus disproving your all-knowing friends.

Alex

BensAccordLxi
02-03-2004, 12:17 AM
I bet over half the board would be under 100hp even with a 5spd. The car has 120hp or so stock, add 130K or more and you are far from the stock hp. It all depends on how the car was driven during its life time. A million things go in to the numbers a car will put down. I say it's not bad. Keep going with it.

Justin86
02-03-2004, 10:06 AM
well that is stock so lets see a lot more mods added then some more dyno results. :)
Hey modu03 if you think your exhaust you should hear mine. Everyone that has heard it says it is the loudest. I had to put a glass pack on to make it closs to the legal limit but I still get pulled over every week for it. Before with uncapped header I got pulled over 4 times in one night. :cool2:

smufguy
02-03-2004, 10:36 AM
You might as well get the 88-89 intake manifold if its compatable with the 86-87 block and emissions. I think it might be compatable, but do check it out. Im hoping to push around 140hp if i can after the work done to this car with the intake, full exhaust with 2.25" pipes and full fuel system. Im just waiting for the 550 cc injectors and the O-ring kit. I should be able to get those numbers soon. If not, a cam should come in handy. ANd yeah 93 Octane is my best friend now.

Justin86
02-03-2004, 12:05 PM
You might as well get the 88-89 intake manifold if its compatable with the 86-87 block and emissions. I think it might be compatable, but do check it out. Im hoping to push around 140hp if i can after the work done to this car with the intake, full exhaust with 2.25" pipes and full fuel system. Im just waiting for the 550 cc injectors and the O-ring kit. I should be able to get those numbers soon. If not, a cam should come in handy. ANd yeah 93 Octane is my best friend now.
Yea I swaped the 89 intake, had to mess with the wiring harness and change the emission box but everything works fine. Then if you don't have emission you can yank that stupid emission shit and still have the car idle good. I did some research and figured out how to do it so I pulled the emissions and the (A/C idle control selonid 86-87EFI only) :D

racerx
02-03-2004, 12:22 PM
uh... pacesetter... quiet... ya, I set off car alarms with my pacesetter exhaust, not as easily as I did when I had no muffler, but the pacesetter is not a quiet muffler. I am actually thinking of cutting it off and popping in something a little less noisy. I have not seen people complaining about how quiet that system is. I should get a recording of my exhaust and post it.

dude, where have you been? try searching... if you think the pacesetter muffler is "loud" than you're just kidding yourself, or you have way overly-sensitive hearing. yeah it will grumble pretty good in the lows rpms, but that's about it.
its okay dude, nobody's gonna make fun of you for not having the loudest exhaust system available.

zerotap
02-03-2004, 06:33 PM

But the tip can make a difference, i know... thus my new muffler
http://images.andale.com/f2/117/127/12182227/click2enlarge/1058734181087_nb14a.jpg
Hey what muffler is that. I just got my accord and it has a typical fart-cat system like you mentioned and I would like to switch that out with something quieter but allow the air flow for the horsepower.

Kevin
02-05-2004, 07:58 AM
I need to dyno mine! I think im pulling about 105hp @ the wheels!! W/o the bottle!! :)

Cyric_accord
02-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Hey what muffler is that. I just got my accord and it has a typical fart-cat system like you mentioned and I would like to switch that out with something quieter but allow the air flow for the horsepower.

It's an MAD Racing Concepts N14 Stainless Steel muffler, got it on Ebay... here's another one for ya: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458200451

smufguy
02-05-2004, 03:17 PM
I need to dyno mine! I think im pulling about 105hp @ the wheels!! W/o the bottle!! :)

how much does the h22 injectors flow? like 230 cc or somethin? besides, 105 whp is pretty good. what kinda pipe u got?2.25" and how about the fuel system besides the injectors?

othick
02-06-2004, 01:08 AM
I'm not doing a 88-89 intake manifold because I have a b16 manifold sitting in my garage all re-drilled and ready to install. I think I"m going to do the cam first, then the intake manifold. Don't worry there will be more dyno's to come. 86hp is just a starting point

nswst8
02-06-2004, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the info, always good to have a base line to know what gains or losses your getting.
Thanks again,
Phil :cheers:

Kevin
02-09-2004, 09:14 AM
The H22 injectors flow 310cc!! I have a full msd ignition box setup. No other fuel mods.My exhaust is custom 2.25 gutted cat and Apexi muffler!! IT has no internals or heave duty clutch!! It has been 16.1 @ 84 with a 2.3 60' <--last week!! With a good launch it should break 15.8 w/o the bottle!!