PDA

View Full Version : Knock Sensor help!

Jdub07
01-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Okay it's not a 3g its a 92 lx accord. I posted on another web site but no one has given me any info. Maybe you guys can help me!

Car just faid california smog because of the knock sensor at 25 mph. What does this mean? what is a knock sensor? is my car f*&ed up? can it be fixed? how bad is this? I really need some help here!

NXRacer
01-30-2004, 09:29 AM
its a really simple sensor thats on the side of the block. Pretty easy to repair and not too expensive. Just look for a diagram for your motor and it'll show you where it is.

88LXi68
01-30-2004, 09:37 AM
its a really simple sensor thats on the side of the block. Pretty easy to repair and not too expensive. Just look for a diagram for your motor and it'll show you where it is.

Not too expensive?? Your on crack. Mine cost $150 new from Honda.

Jdub07
01-30-2004, 09:43 AM
so you think i should still follow all the way through with the purchase of this car. its not in my name yet because the other party has to smog it first. should I be worried about the car?

Jdub07
01-30-2004, 09:54 AM
I thought the 92 lx accords had O2 sensors not knock sensors? Is the shop trying to D!CK me? Or does this year and model really have a knock sensor? I'm so confused :help:

NXRacer
01-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Not too expensive?? Your on crack. Mine cost $150 new from Honda.
my bad. i was thinking about another one

if the knock sensor is out and you have to have it smog tested too, i'd take it to a mechanic and have it gone over completely. There may or may not be more problems with it.

88LXi68
01-30-2004, 11:41 AM
I thought the 92 lx accords had O2 sensors not knock sensors? Is the shop trying to D!CK me? Or does this year and model really have a knock sensor? I'm so confused :help:

Honestly...I was kind of unsure if that model had a knock sensor, because originally only VTEC engines came with them, and now I believe many of the newer engine have them. I had to add a knock sensor to my B18A1 Integra block (1990). I would double check to see if the F series non vtec came with one.

NXRacer
01-30-2004, 11:44 AM
go to www.cb7-tuner.com or www.accordinglydone.com. both sites have too tech info about 4th gen and up accords.

Jdub07
01-30-2004, 11:57 AM
thanks for the reply. I've been to cb7 but its pretty quiet there. i tried the other link so we'll see what up. thanks again

NXRacer
01-30-2004, 12:10 PM
both those sites aren't too busy, but they have REALLY good info and not a lot of bullshit like HT (esp accordinglydone).

BootMachine
01-30-2004, 12:15 PM
150 aint bad for a sensor from Honda.......

ha ha ha......ask them how much an ECU is....or better....a distributor! ha ha ha ha...like over a grand each!

cruznz
01-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Here's a bit of info i scanned that may help you
Detonation sensor

Some later engine management systems incorporate a detonation sensor which detects engine knock conditions. The sensor is screwed into either the cylinder head or intake manifold.

If detonation (pinging) is present the sensor will pick up the vibrations and transmit an electrical signal to the electronic control unit. The electronic control unit will then measure the detonation and retard the ignition timing or open a turbo waste gate to eliminate the problem.

A detonation sensor can usually be checked using the following generalised procedures.

1 . Remove the wiring connector from the detonation sensor and check the sensor for continuity with a digital ohmmeter. If continuity exists reconnect the connector and test the sensor further as follows.

2. Install a timing light to the engine following the equipment manufacturer's instructions.

3. Start the engine and, whilst observing the ignition timing with the timing light, tap the engine with a small hammer near the detonation sensor. If the sensor is operating the ignition timing should change. Repeat the test a few times ensuring that the ignition timing retards when the engine is tapped with the small hammer.

4. If the detonation sensor showed continuity with the ohmmeter test but there was no change noted on the knock test, then there is a possibility there is a problem in the wiring harness or electronic control unit.

accordlxi2.0
01-30-2004, 02:03 PM
none of the 4g accord's came with a knock sensor, only the prelude's