PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

meangreenLXi
01-30-2004, 04:40 PM
My mechanic today told me my engine was leaking from the top of the engine, i changed the valve cover gasket myself, it doesn't look like it's leaking. Does anyone else know what could be leaking from the top of the engine :cool2: ?

zac9854
01-30-2004, 04:48 PM
check the grommets for the valve cover some sets dont come with new ones also check the breather hose out of the oil pan the oil filterhousing may contribute i had hellacious oil leaks in my 87 for the longest time i resealed everything pan, new breather tube,filter housing,oil pump

NXRacer
01-30-2004, 04:52 PM
a real common oil leak from the head is the seal around the distributor. Its easy to replace, just make sure you mark the dizzy before you remove it so you wont have to worry about timing problems when you put it back in.

meangreenLXi
01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Cool, i'll check that out. I did get new grommets, I got the set from NAPA. Also if i change the oil pan and gasket, do i need the bolts or screw kit. I saw this kit when I was looking for the oil pan gasket.

nswst8
01-30-2004, 05:15 PM
The distributor O-ring is nortorious for upper leak. Also the filter base seal (if oil leaking on exhuast pipe) is alittle thing that is often overlooked. Other than that Front cam seal, front crankshaft seal, oil pan gasket, rear main seal (not likely though) these are great seals.
But this has been gone over before, use the search feature.
Hope this helps
NSWST8 :cheers:

meangreenLXi
01-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanx, just didn't know what exactly to search? engine gaskets? seals? thanx for not flaming me though :pimp: