PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

Shifty
01-31-2004, 05:24 AM
My accord has been losing alot of oil recently and it seems to be coming from the rocket cover. I was told i blew a head gasket, im not positive on this but how much would a new head gasket cost? Anyone in aus would have any clue? Thanx guys... And sorry i had no clue where to put this thread.. :S

86LXItooFAST4me
01-31-2004, 05:38 AM
i always see a head gasket set on e-bay for $50 dollars. other wise its usually aroud $80-120 for a head set on our cars.

nswst8
01-31-2004, 06:40 AM
Head gaskets if you do it yourself, is probably going to run you in the neighborhood of $150-$200.
If your thinking of having someone do it for you. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000.
I helped a guy that the dealership wanted $1200.
It's not difficult just time consuming.
Hope this helps.LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

Chadroper
01-31-2004, 07:01 AM
If it is coming from around the valve cover try changing the valve cover gasket first it takes about 5 minutes and cost about $16. If its the headgasket you would also have funny compression, oil in the water, or water in the oil, or smoking, loosing coolant, or oil or water leaking between the block and head.

TINBOAT
01-31-2004, 07:09 AM
Just the gasket itself is 36 bucks at Autozone here (felpro non retorque), and it takes me just under 4 hours to do the job (but I've done more than I can count offhand).

How is your cooling system ?...any signs of oil in the coolant ?
Usually, the head gaskets do not fail in the oil passage area, as there is only one critical oil pressure point in the head (firewall side, center of head), which supplies oil to the valve train. The rest is gravity return of oil in the drain down passages.

I would suggest cleaning up the engine, and looking at things like a failed distributor 'O' ring, or a leaking valve cover gasket.

Shifty
02-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Ahhhh... coolies yea thanx guys. I have a feeling it might be that "distributor 'O' ring" -_^ . Anyway i got myself some degreaser and i'll clean up the motor again later today when its cooler so the whole thing does'nt blow up on me. Hopefully whatever is leaking aint major and is gonna end up costing me my whole yrs pocket money lol

Neuspeed87lx
02-01-2004, 08:54 PM
is the oil milky ?

Shifty
02-02-2004, 03:54 AM
Nah just how its meant to be or burnt, bit of a mix

P|eszczoH
02-02-2004, 10:15 AM
I was told i blew a head gasket, im not positive on this but how much would a new head gasket cost?

Im gona change my head gasket on thursday :-) think its gonna be a half day work :-) I know I blewed mine because my car leaves a big smoke :)
and my coolant evaporates ;) and of my temp gauge is extremly high. Good for me, because my coolant goes to the cylinder and oil and coolant do not mix :) In 3g time for head gasket depend on type of A20 uve got.
Mine is A20a1 so its the one that takes a lot of time :( EGR, pipes from header to egr... vacum pipes and so on :( also a carburator...
but Ive got to do it. Head gasket is about a 30$ but Im not sure if its is a good quality. I did check price of head gasket at dealer using "EPC" and it Was about 75$ in 2001.
before U change Your gasket check your coolant and oil, are they full of eachother ?

and about A20 heads. I did over heated my engine once, my head gave up.
The weak point was in front of it in the middle of a head screw.

good luck

soljaboy2000
02-02-2004, 01:11 PM
ebay has apexi brands head gaskets for $49......hey why does my oil always leaks at the valve cover even if i get a new one v.c gasket?

P|eszczoH
02-02-2004, 01:55 PM
ebay has apexi brands head gaskets for $49......hey why does my oil always leaks at the valve cover even if i get a new one v.c gasket?

As I remember manual for 3gees says use a temp.resistant silicone with new gasket, especially in those corners near a circle shape....
where does your leaks ???
maybe this is it.
see Ya

jayp6969
02-02-2004, 04:34 PM
u sure its oil, cause i thought it was my head gasket and it was really powersteering fluid leaking from all the rust power steering lines....also check 2 see if ur oil pan is leaking

Neuspeed87lx
02-02-2004, 07:26 PM

are you tightening the bolts to spec ? .... put some rtv on the corners when you are putting the valve cover back on

Shifty
02-08-2004, 02:01 PM
yeah im pretty sure its oil.. degreased the motor to find out where the oil is coming from the blasted thing did'nt wanna leak then :/ Well its the head gasket for sure.. I bet the mechanic who rebuilt my motor did a dodgy job ! .. Time to take it back to him and tell him to do it properly :(