PDA

View Full Version : Help me

awagner777
07-05-2002, 08:10 PM
My reason for writing is this. I am having a bit of a problem with my car. The problem is intermittent, so it’s been somewhat difficult to track down. It started out a couple of months after I bought it, (with 160k) when ever the engine got wet it would stall. I consulted my mechanic, and he suggested that I change the plugs and wires. After doing so I noticed that the problem cleared up, but did not go completely away. After doing this, (not immediately) the engine began running really rough, and was difficult to start. I purchased a cap and rotor and installed them my self. This did not solve the problem either. Finally I took the car to my mechanic and he replaced the ignition main relay. Again, $125 :mad: dollars later, the car was exhibiting the same symptoms. My mechanic told me that he really needed my car to die and stay dead. Well, about a week later it finally did die. So we took the car and put it in the shop. My mechanic told me that it was not the distributor, but the module the mounts on the distributor and the coil. Once again, now up to $300 :mad: , the car displayed the same symptoms from the moment I picked the car up.

Since my step father is a local snap on tool distributor, we have easy access to a scanner. Well as you may already know there is no harness to pull codes from the computer. But what I did find out is that when then check engine light is on (which it has been once in a while) you can get codes from a LED under the driver seat. Well the light blinks 6 times and pauses and repeats. I have not been able to find out what this means, as the Snap-on manual did not have any information on this.

My question is this, have you heard of any problems like this, or maybe you know what the code means. I have an appointment with the Honda dealership at the end of next week, but the dealer is in another town about an hours drive away. I don’t want to risk driving all that way if I can get help here. But no one seems to know what they are doing. If you can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Bobs89LXi
07-06-2002, 05:55 AM
Aaron,

There is a post in the FAQ Forum with the ECU engine codes. This is a cut and paste from that post:

6 85-98 Accord
ECT Sensor (Engine Coolant Temperature)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

The engine coolant temperature sensor is a common problem with Hondas. I'm surprised that your mechanic didn't know that. A good mechanic worth his weight would have checked the ECU codes FIRST, especially if the CHECK ENGINE light came on, instead of replacing parts that shouldn't have been replaced. The ECU will hold the code until power is removed from it either by pulling the ECU fuse or disconnecting the battery. There is no need to go to a Honda dealer and be charged outrageously high for labor to replace something you can do yourself in your garage or backyard. Both the Haynes and Honda repair manuals have the procedure to test and replace the ECT.

awagner777
07-06-2002, 06:35 AM
Would a sensor cause my car to run like that? :huh: maybe its cause i am not a mechanic, but that doesn't make sense to me. Thanks
Aaron Wagner

Bobs89LXi
07-06-2002, 07:57 PM
Yes, it makes perfect sense why a bad sensor would cause your engine to run like shit. A cold engine requires a different air/fuel mixture than when it's hot to run efficiently. Without the Coolant Temperature Sensor, the ECU has no way of knowing whether the engine is hot or cold, so it will set the ratio at a pre-programmed level. I may be mistaken, but I believe it is set for a hot engine.

awagner777
07-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Ok yeah that does explain the hard starting and the hesitation. Humm, you guys rock. You know, BTW, how much a ECT is? $23.99. :angry: :omg: But WTH, I gots $300 worht of new parts i didn't need. :rolleyes: :)

DBMaster
07-07-2002, 09:52 AM
I am shocked that they charged you $125 to replace the main relay. The part is less than $40 and only takes about 30 minutes to replace, and that is only because it is a pain to get to it under the dash.

Now you know why people who don't work on their cars have to buy new ones.

Please let us know if the ECT sensor fixes the problem. I am interested.

Thanks.

awagner777
07-07-2002, 10:27 AM
The part should be here Tuesday, I'll keep yall posted. Thanks. From now on i am coming to yall for advice b4 i go to my mechanic. One redeeming thing about it is that he didn't charge me labor for the last time it was in the shop, cause the first time it didn't fix the problem. Oh well, i hope that this is it, cause i dont wanna hafta take it to the dealer. :p Aight, I better go, I think i am becomeing a 3geez junkie.....It just rained, and MAN my car looks sexy when it's wet. VROOM VROOM.