PDA

View Full Version : My heater is blowing out cold air... (my car was overheatting earlier this week)

Dennis
01-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Here is my thread about my car overheating http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=29675 i remember someone asked about my heat working. well then it was but last night it wasn't working. it was blowing out cool air, not ice cold but not warm either... :help:

dXsquared
01-31-2004, 09:20 AM
HEAD GASKET TIME... OR if your lucky, a fucked up t stat... sticks open and closed??

whats your oil look like? run a compression/leak down check...

Travis

Dennis
01-31-2004, 09:49 AM
how can i tell whether its a head gasket or a thermostat? also... could it maybe be the valve cover gasket instead of a head gasket?

BITESIZE
01-31-2004, 09:58 AM
Just change your thermostat, I'll bet that's 100% your problem.

racerx
01-31-2004, 10:30 AM
no no no. I have had the same problem before as well. The problem is the level of coolant in your cooling system.
Overheating? Not enough fluid!
And for some reason, when you dont have 90%+ capacity of coolant, your heater blows cold.
I can almost guarantee you this is the problem.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-31-2004, 10:43 AM
racerx just said what I was going to tell you. If your car is blowing cold air that means you either need new coolant (more) and or a new thermostat. don't get cheap thermostats though. Get one from Honda or get NAPA's brand SuperStat (those are the only 2 that I know of that are of any good quality.)

dXsquared
01-31-2004, 11:05 AM
the only way to tell if its a head gasket is with a compresion test... go see your friendly neighborhood mechanic and get him to run a test.. but of course, top up the coolant first then change the t stat.. unless you have a buddy that can run the compression test..

Travis