PDA

View Full Version : 87 LX-i wont start...need help

whyterice
01-31-2004, 03:54 PM
I tried to start my car today and all it would do when I turned the key is just light up all the idiot lights...I put a new battery in two weeks ago and I also drove the car on Wednesday...It won't even click when I turn the key to the start position.

cruznz
01-31-2004, 04:57 PM
have you tried another battery or jump start?

whyterice
01-31-2004, 05:22 PM
have you tried another battery or jump start?

Nah, it was too cold this morning to be outside...I just hopped in the '03 Mazda this morning instead. I will try it tomorrow...if it does start then I suspect the alternator is bad.

soljaboy2000
01-31-2004, 05:36 PM
Make sure the batt conections are clean too...no corrision etc.

Kidou Ninja
01-31-2004, 06:08 PM
Heh funny you mention that I am having same problems and its my alternator. I am getting a new one plus new belts put on. Check your alternator it isnt charging your battery enough I bet like mine.

nswst8
01-31-2004, 06:39 PM
Sound like the starter, if it just clicks either your not getting enough juice (check your voltage in the battery)
If there is enough cranking amps then I would suspect the starter silenoid
But make sure your connections are clean from any corrosion.
Hope this helps, LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

Blkblurr
01-31-2004, 07:18 PM
Try this simple test.At night, turn your headlights on then try to start your car. If the head lights go out almost completely, your battery does not have enough charge. most likely your alt or bad battery connection. If your lights don't dim then it may be your starter solenoid or ignition switch. Could also be a bad starter motor.

whyterice
02-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Ok, I was able to start the car by getting a jump off my truck battery. This morning I went out to see if would start and it appears that the battery is dead. Nothing electrical comes on when the key is turned...not even the idiot lights. I have not driven the car since last wednesday. The battery is a brand new battery. Any ideas?

TINBOAT
02-05-2004, 05:47 AM
I would look at the battery clamps, sounds like you have a bad connection, if they are loose, and cannot be tightened any further, it's time to replace them with new battery cables..these clamps corrode from the inside out, and is a common electrical problem on our Honda's.

Blkblurr
02-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Have you checked your alternator to see if it's working. I agree with Tinboat on the battery clamps. If they are not the problem you may have a bad alt or a loose belt on your alt.

nswst8
02-05-2004, 06:16 AM
He's the man. If it is a new battery and you had to jump it then its not receiving a full charge or you have a parasitic draw, somthing is draining your battery.
Hope this helps
Phil :cheers:

smufguy
02-05-2004, 03:39 PM
I remember not to long ago another member had the same issue and i went thru the same issue. Any loose or unhooked ground will draw your battery on the run cuz that open circut is not putting back the power its drawing from the battery. Even tho ur car is being recharged by the alt on the go, its just not enough. I had the problem of the battery dying due to a bad antenna ground. It was weird.

If you have a multimetter or even an access to one, get it and see if you are putting around 13.5 to 14 volts under no load and something near 13Volts on full load with fan on full, headlights with hazards, interior light and radio.

If u dont have an access to a meter, start the car up and just unhook the negative cable on the battery and see if the car would die. IF it does, you automatically know its the alt. If it does not, then u got a open circuit on the car that is hindering the battery recharge.

Put a test light inline to the postive or negative cable of the battery to the battery terminal and shut everything off including the trunk light and interior light and anything that might be on. If it glows, its a visual indication that something is drawing power.

the next hurdle is to get the shop manual and loook for every ground location and cross referencing them to the ones on ur car to make sure they are intact. Its a long process, but will save a shit load of aggravation if this is gonna prolong. :cheers:

Sherlock87LXI
02-05-2004, 11:42 PM
You can bask in the wonderfulness that if you do have to replace your alternator, you have an LX->I<. :werd:
Not Carbed. you can just pull the air cleaner off the efi setup and pull the alt out there between the EFI and firewall. 30 min in and out. SO NICE! I feel sorry for Carbed cars. :(
I still have a serious power drain issue but thats cause one night i jumped my car with a dead battery and shorted some wiring. Wipers dont shut off and I have to pull the fuse. Wierd. Serious power drain. But thats what parts cars are for!

Blkblurr
02-06-2004, 05:18 AM
Let me try to clear up a few misconceptions about grounds and charging batterys. If you are getting 13.5 volts to your battery then your battery will charge. If the battery has an internal short, it will drain all by itself even if it is unhooked. You will need to replace it if that happens. You can have as many loose grounds as you want and it will not cause the battery to drain. Things will not work but in order for the battery to drain,current must flow from the negative back to the positive of the battery. Now iin order to charge a good battery, you need to have a voltage higher than the battery itself. 12 volt battery and a 13.5 volt alt. you now have a 1.5 volt difference so that current can flow. How much current flows depends on how good your battery cable is and whether or not your alt belt is tight. The length of time you run your car will determine how much of a charge your battery gets. Once your battery has been drained you should charge it with a battery charger over night so that your battery gets a maximum charge. I don't want to step on anyones toes but this stuff is what I do for a living. I am an electrical engineer and build systems that test automotive electrical systems as well as many other car components I hope this helps a little.

TINBOAT
02-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Great post Blkblurr !!!

whyterice
02-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Because I am lazy and mainly, I don't feel like f**king with it, I am taking it to this Honda guru who lives way out in the country and all he works on is Hondas and Acuras. He has done some work for me before. He did a head gasket for three hundred bucks. He works cheap and knows his shit.

rocky2
02-08-2004, 06:29 PM
check out the defroster circut,it could drain battery down

Kidou Ninja
02-08-2004, 09:20 PM
I am thinking alternator because that what it sounds like. Mine was doing the exact same thing not to long ago and the same problems. Oh well we will see what it really is soon enough.