PDA

View Full Version : Which JDM motors pass emissions?

DarknessRS
05-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Are there any that can pass California smog tests? Or do people with the JDM motors pay off their smog guy?

Justanothermike
05-02-2002, 10:17 PM
All stock JDM swaps should have no problem passing the SMOG test. But the only problem is that JDM motors are not legal in California. The engine code stamps are different between USDM and JDM engines. The carb ref will be looking for that. But if u sand down the stamp and restamp the block then u might be able to get away with it. We in NO way encourage this;)

Jims 86LXI HB
05-02-2002, 10:56 PM
What I'd want to know is this. When that JDM motor was sold in japan, what emission system were on the car then? And to what emission's standard where they built to? And how does that standard compare to the usdm standard, let alone the stricker california/new york standards. Wouldn't the JDM ECU limit anyones ability to try and tune it to make it cleaner if needed?

In short how does a japanese emission standard compare to the federal or california standard.

CARBurn
05-04-2002, 08:45 PM
hmmm... it was from my understanding JDM motors are generally have little more umph! because unlike their US counterparts Japan has less restrictive emissions standards. But if they can pass at least federal emission standards maybe they are not less restrictive?

1989 DX R
05-09-2002, 06:31 PM
Well, my stock DX motor passes emissions with a wide margin, I am pretty sure Honda has a pretty high standard for all their engines.

88WhiteLX-i
05-17-2002, 08:15 AM
My LX-i passed Massachusetts Emissions a year ago by a huge gap. It's due for emissions this year, but Iam sure as 1989 DX R said all honda engines were build tight, so they shouldn't have a problem. But if it does just rig it up for the test so you'll pass......:D

Honda-Roku
05-23-2002, 05:23 PM
Yes a stock JDM motor with the correct ECU will pass emissions. The reason JDM motors tend to have a little more pep, is not due to reduced emmissions standards. Typically Honda uses slightly racier cam profiles and slightly higher compression ratios on their home engines.

SteveDX89
05-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Those BASTARDS!!! We want good shit too! :mad: