PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Fun: Alternator Replacement :(

98serwtricks
01-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Me and my good buddy just got through replacing the alternator in my wife's 89 LX. After researching options on this site and a haynes manual, we got the alternator detached and just moved it along the firewall towards the passenger side loosening a bracket that holds the heater control line and removing a strengthening bracket in the same area that's attatched to the backside of engine. Whew! It wasn't easy, but it is doable. We actually considered doing what the factory and haynes manual said about loosening the steering knuckle and dropping the axle - I'm glad we didn't.... Not bad for 7 hours of work with a couple much-needed breaks :cheers:

nswst8
01-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Another successful job. Now your ole pro, ready to help others where you have dared to wonder.
Again, Congratulations
NSWST8 :cheers:

MilTownSHO
02-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Congradulations, I give you props, I sold my Accord when the alternator died.

MoonScryer
02-01-2004, 05:20 AM
One advantage of fuel injection: put intake on inplace of stock airbox, plenty of space in the back. Take me 15mins todo an alternator now. :D

Can you tell I've gone through many of them? :(

How is Marietta treading lately? Barrett still jumping or has it finally been beaten down by the popo?

HostileJava
02-01-2004, 07:29 AM
To damn cold here to work on my own car, I took mine to the shop to have it replaced on Tuesday of last week. What a difference.

98serwtricks
02-01-2004, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys! If I had to do it again, it'd be too soon. We bought the car used, so those are the first nuts & bolts I've turned on the car - they won't be the last :rolleyes:

I'm gonna swap a EFI engine into it eventually - so hopefully, it'll be easier next time ;)

How is Marietta treading lately? Barrett still jumping or has it finally been beaten down by the popo?

I don't really know - I hear they still meet on Saturday, but haven't been in a looong time...

doug
02-01-2004, 05:39 PM
somebody told me if you unloosen the motor mounts and using a 2x4 carefully jack up the engine, it will drop right down. wasn't there, so I don't know if it's bs or not. but I've thought about the way you did it and figured it might work. my light comes on at 4 grand all the time and I'm told it's the brushes, so mines coming out sometime soon.