PDA

View Full Version : What is this and what does it do?

spoon611
02-01-2004, 08:20 AM
This part makes a ticking sound when the engine runs. Is it supposed to make a ticking noise and if it does what does that mean?

http://webpages.charter.net/spoon61/carpart.JPG

Chadroper
02-01-2004, 08:24 AM
That is the air suction cutt off valve. It is supposed to inject air into the exhaust manifold. Mine doesnt tick but it probably doesnt work.

spoon611
02-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Well it's a pretty loud tick, to me anyways. I just don't know if it's a normal sounding tick or one that I should be concerned of. It increases with the RPM too. It almost sounds like a valve ticking, but I'm pretty sure it's not that. I did the old school screwdriver to the ear thing and it's definitely coming from that part.

Ravenix
02-01-2004, 10:57 AM
my car ticks too, i wonder if my problem is the same as yours? if it is someone answer i wanna know how to fix it it is annoying!!!

spoon611
02-02-2004, 04:07 PM
anyone? bump

k-roy
02-02-2004, 04:12 PM
What the hell is that? I don't have one. Should I be worried?
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2858
ps. ignore the red circle, I was showing someone else the pcv valve.

DanG86LX
02-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Yah, agree with Chadroper , it's air suction system, part of emission, helps with CO !? Some ppl in carb section had remove it , just like on kroy pic.
On my car it does NOT click. Is ON during idle, and OFF when i step on gas. If u guys are interested, look in Paul's manual, pages 11-64..
If in doubt where the clicking comes from, unplug vacuum line #5 from it (and plug the rubber line). Clicking noise synchronous to the engine may come from inside valve cover - valve lash..

spoon611
02-03-2004, 01:21 AM
Yah, agree with Chadroper , it's air suction system, part of emission, helps with CO !? Some ppl in carb section had remove it , just like on kroy pic.
On my car it does NOT click. Is ON during idle, and OFF when i step on gas. If u guys are interested, look in Paul's manual, pages 11-64..
If in doubt where the clicking comes from, unplug vacuum line #5 from it (and plug the rubber line). Clicking noise synchronous to the engine may come from inside valve cover - valve lash..
I pulled the vacuum line from the valve that's on there and it made the ticking noise stop.

BMS
02-03-2004, 07:46 AM
OMG, what it is with the ASV (Air Suctin Valve) is that it has reed valves inside of it, so when they get old and weak they will slap around and make a ticking noise when they hit the inside of the part. That's it. There is nothing to worry about, and it doens't really affect anything too much. I went to the junkyard and "borrowed" one, and opened it up, and cleaned the reeds, and put it in my car. No more ticking. Or just plug the vaccuum line that goes to it, and don't worry about it ever again.

spoon611
02-03-2004, 01:22 PM
OMG, what it is with the ASV (Air Suctin Valve) is that it has reed valves inside of it, so when they get old and weak they will slap around and make a ticking noise when they hit the inside of the part. That's it. There is nothing to worry about, and it doens't really affect anything too much. I went to the junkyard and "borrowed" one, and opened it up, and cleaned the reeds, and put it in my car. No more ticking. Or just plug the vaccuum line that goes to it, and don't worry about it ever again.

Sounds good to me! Should I remember to plug it back in for next years emmision test or will it not even matter?

BMS
02-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Sounds good to me! Should I remember to plug it back in for next years emmision test or will it not even matter?

As far as I understand it is used mostly for a cold engine. You may notice that it gets quieter when the engine is hot? Shouldn't matter if the car is warm, but it wouldn't hurt to just put the hose back on it before you go into the shop.

HondaBoy
02-05-2004, 04:33 PM
ok, i have the same problem. its called the air suction valve on the diagram thing under my hood. its about $130 for a new one, and no its not supposed to tick. mine does the ticking noise. people would always tell me its my lifters and i have found that the tick is from that air suction valve. dont remember why it does that but it should be either replaced , or remove it if you take the emissions shit off the carb.
P.S..... not something to be really worried about unless you dont like that sound.

BMS
02-05-2004, 04:56 PM
...$130 for a new one.

$15 at the junkyard.

spoon611
02-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Well I just had my emissions done last month, so I decided to unplug the vacuum to it. Ahhh...no more tick.

lightbulblxi
02-05-2004, 07:01 PM
when i saw the title i thought he was gonna talk about the tilt lever...lol