PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber

86LXItooFAST4me
02-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Does anyone know how carbon fiber is made and like if somebody wanted to make a carbon fiber hood or dash or get one made where would they go to find out this info? or does anyone know of a web site that tells you how it is made?

:bong:

johndej
02-01-2004, 09:17 AM
hmmm......... no idea how its made, but there have been several group buys for carbon fiber hoods. check the back posts w/ search.

86LXItooFAST4me
02-01-2004, 10:05 AM
hmmm......... no idea how its made, but there have been several group buys for carbon fiber hoods. check the back posts w/ search.

i know that, my question was is there a site that tells you how to make or how carbon fiber. but thanks anyway man. :cheers:

IMWezel
02-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Carbon fiber parts are built up of layers of carbonfiber mats, they are bonded together and put in an autoclave ( high pressure oven)

crwa
02-01-2004, 07:02 PM
From what I've heard its hard to work with... and is expensive to have custom parts made... Like a cf dash would probably cost upwards of $600... I'd saw look in the phone book and make a few calls to shops that might work with it and talk to them...

lightbulblxi
02-01-2004, 07:19 PM
carbon fiber is strands of carbon woven together. here is how it is made:

a mold is made from the original piece
then glaze is applied as a release agent
templates of the piece are made and the carbon fiber is cut according to them
then the cut peices are put in the mold
then resin is applied to the inside of the mold, and onto the carbon fiber
then the carbon fiber is smothered with a roller to get out air bubbles
one half of the mold is cured around 84 degrees
the other half of the mold is then lined with CF and covered with resin
then the mold is bolted together
then the whole mold is put in the curing room
once the resin is fully cured, the mold is unbolted and hammered apart
then the piece is polished to shine

that was in the december issue of import racer. hope it helps.

RobT5580
02-01-2004, 07:40 PM
You can buy sheets of it and make stuff from the finished product. My friend bought the stiff type off ebay a while back and if you heat it up it is very flexible and you can form it into shapes that you want. I bought some but it was more flexible and not stiff for my gauge cluster i made. But you can find it out there but its not cheap by depending on how big of a sheet you want. Personally i would not want large areas covered in it but small areas seem to accent parts well IMO.

zero.counter
02-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Here are some sheets, yes they are expensive...
http://www.carbontrix.com/

Thedungeonz89
02-15-2004, 12:51 AM
i know that, my question was is there a site that tells you how to make or how carbon fiber. but thanks anyway man. :cheers:

It is done a lot like fiberglassing!!! The problem is if u plan on bmaking anything bigger than a potroast you will need an autoclave!!!!!!
:beer:

gingerbreadman
02-15-2004, 09:16 AM
why bother carbon fiber is such a huge rice trend it's not funny, i laugh at all those who die for and praise the carbon fiber, wake up no one will care for it in 2 years.

HondaBoy
02-22-2004, 06:49 PM
well, its pretty much simular to doing fiber glass. you use the resin stuff to harden the weaved material. to make stuff like hoods and dashes out of fiber glass, you lay the sheets of it over the original hood or dash and keep putting layers of it with resin. i wouldnt want to try it.

Elijah
02-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Here is a link hope it helps.
http://www.fibreglast.com/contentpages-main-Learning-Center-283.html

KoNEY
02-22-2004, 09:24 PM
yeah, cf is rice if ur not serious, why get a cf hood if youve got a 80-150 lb system in your trunk, or if you've got full interior, and your motor is stock. it only helps if youve got a full race car and anyting that is not sacrificable (ie, a hood) needs to be lighter, then you get hoods, fenders, or just go all out pro style and build a tube cage frame, and just get your favorite honda body as a CF shell that bolts to the frame and then drop an outrageous b- or h- series in with lots of turbo and stuff, and then it pays for itself if you win, but if u want it, get it, because you never care what the next guy thinks, its always what you want and what your budget permits.....

Dragonfly
02-24-2004, 08:04 AM
huuu i whander if you painted a fiberglass cloth black then clear coated it if it would look just like cf?? just a thought