PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Hose leaking. (also resolved my over heating issue)

Dennis
02-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Well I thought my car was over heating due to the thermostat being fucked up but I guess not. I figured out that it was not oil leaking by my valve cover but it was in face power steering fluid. I filled it up yesterday and it's almost empty right now. I'm suppose to get a new hose today from the junkyard or I could buy it from Advanced for like 32 dollars. Anyways, I'm glad it's not oil... even though PS fluid is flammable. Anyways, I guess my car wasn't over heating, the thermostat just works every now and then. So I'll put the new one in today. :) I'm glad I'm getting this fixed. I've noticed my car running alot better once I let it warm up, but it doesn't warm up or stay warm all the time.

Blkblurr
02-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Power steering hose leaks are a common problem for this gen. They are difficult to put in though. Once you put the new one in make sure you turn your steering wheel back and forth several times to get the air out of the system. Mostly your rack and pinion. Check for leaks at the tube connections to your rack and pinion once you get it running again. I think I would buy a new one because of the difficulty in putting them in. After you do all that recheck your power steering fluid level, fill and check again in a few days if you have driven it. Air will continue to work out of the rack and pinion.

Grant2k
02-02-2004, 08:59 AM
my girlfriend's car had the same problem. the hose is kind of a bitch to change, mostly just at the junction box under the car and then getting the hard part of the line in and out is tricky. it can be done in a few hours though, not the most major job.