PDA

View Full Version : where PCV valve on EFI?

johnwc723
02-02-2004, 02:57 PM
i have already done a search and i cant find anywhere, i got this new pcv valve but i dont knwo where the old one there is something on the "charcoal canister" that says pcv but it dosent look like the one i have here

the one i just bought looks like =[]= somewhat with connectors at the ends of the =, while the one that i think is it in my car looks kinda like a T missin one side and having a hose connected to it, anyone know where this sob is?

k-roy
02-02-2004, 03:14 PM
learn to search, its in the FAQ.
Where is the PCV valve located and what does it do? (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=69)

TINBOAT
02-02-2004, 06:22 PM
The PCV valve is located UNDER the intake manifold plenum...if you follow the 'big' vaccuum hose that is located top and center of the intake manifold, you will find it runs to the left side of the engine (but passes thru a casting in the intake), and snakes into the canister....be VERY FRIKKEN CAREFUL trying to remove it, the fitting in the canister is getting old and not pliable, and if you break it (as I have done), you're gonna open a whole new can of worms !!!...if you HAVE to remove it, I STRONGLY recommend that you buy new vaccumm hose to go along with it, because the only way to insure NOT breaking anything, is to cut the hose LONGITUDUALLY along the valve nipple fittings BEFORE you try to remove it.
Just remember, if it breaks, you will have to get underneath the car, remove the oil filter, some wiring harness stands, cooling pipe's, intake manifold brace, and maybe a few layers of skin to fix things.

...but on a happy note, PCV valves rarely fail, they just plug up...buy a can of good carb/injector cleaner (valvoline is my fav), and pull the hose off the top of the intake and spray about 1/2 of the can down the hose, or until it's full, let gravity do it's thing, and give it some time (let it sit overnite if you have the luxury)....works 99.9% of the time, and you wont get charged the labor for it !!!

johnwc723
02-02-2004, 09:10 PM
thanks tinboat, sorry kroy i freakin did a search for it and i didnt get anything about it i did PCV valve and i didnt see any FAQ answers in there, i didnt htink that the pcv would be in the faq to begin with

BITESIZE
02-02-2004, 09:14 PM
Be careful, I broke mine, because it wouldn't come out very easily.

danronian
02-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Yeah I had to pull mine so hard to get it out, I thought it was stuck, but luckily it didnt break. Mine was clogged shut and the injector cleaner worked great.

SteveDX89
02-03-2004, 06:57 AM
I just replaced mine on Sunday. It's probably easier to get to on carbs with vac lines removed but it made a world of difference. The old one was all messed up. The spring and the little "door" that the spring pushes on were broken. My car idles so smooth now and I can tell my gas mileage is better. I've driven about 50 miles since then and the gas needle has barely moved. Could be the best $2.67 I've ever spent. I just gotta figure if my choke opener diaphragm still works.