PDA

View Full Version : screw on muffler?

my86dx4dr
02-03-2004, 02:09 AM
well, i have an 86 dx
my uncle (live w/him) was a profesional honda mechanic from 85-96
well heres the deal
my muffler blew off in the 12" of snow and ice 3 weeks ago
i was gonna spend the 50 bucks or so to have a new reguler muffler welded on, he says that would be stupid
that he could just go get me a BOLT ON muffler for like 25-30 bucks
he swears up and down that......thats what it came with and thats what ya buy

i say :bs: :bs:

i mean...its no big deal 50 bucks is not bad at all at a little old pops local shop
this is just a question out of curiousity
did they come with a bolt on muffler?
if so... should i buy one of these?
i would think a welded one would be better! :help:

k-roy
02-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Im not sure if the OE muffler had a flange that bolted on or not. I have a complete new exauhst.
You need to look and see if there is a flange at the end of the pipe.
Since it ripped off you might have a screwed up flange.
A weld on muffler is a good idea, it seals better and is more secure that way.
"thats what it came with and thats what ya buy" Thats just dumb when it comes to mufflers.
I say you should get yourself a hi flow Dynomaxx from jegs for $20 and have it welded on.

nswst8
02-03-2004, 05:05 AM
Our original muffleer on the accord is a one piece bolt on. The "A" pipe runs from the header to the Catalytic converter. The "B" pipe runs from the Catalytic converter to the Muffler. The muffler bolts into the "B" pipe.
If your uncle can get this for $20-$30 do it.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

TINBOAT
02-03-2004, 05:17 AM
Yep..they are a bolt on part...and if you really wanna go cheap, have a look at the local boneyard, you might find a near new pristine complete system...I did for a friend, cost 20 bucks, from the manifold to the tailpipe.

HondaBoy
02-05-2004, 04:38 PM
i know there is a "rear end" section if thats what you mean. kinda like an axle back exhaust. know what i mean. but its just bolted to a flange which is probley rusted as hell.