PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever take apart an Automatic transmission?

Gregg86DX
02-03-2004, 10:56 AM
I am trying to get the differential out of an automatic transmission and it's not coming apart as easily as I would like. I've removed every bolt I can find but the case still won't split open. Has anyone here taken one of these things apart and can offer any tips?

Thanks,
Gregg

P.S. this is actually a B20A automatic, but I am guessing they should be similar to any Honda automatic.

shepherd79
02-03-2004, 11:04 AM
i wouldn't even touch the automatic tranny. if you don't put it together right there is no way it will work again.

Gregg86DX
02-03-2004, 11:10 AM
I don't plan to use this tranny since I now have a 5 speed, so I don't really care how bad I mess it up. Taking a sledgehammer to it has been considered, but I would prefer not to. :beat:

Gregg

shepherd79
02-03-2004, 11:11 AM
why not selling it. you can make some money

Justin86
02-03-2004, 11:12 AM
get a bigger hammer. it was a pain for me to remove the case on the 5speed.

BITESIZE
02-03-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm going to be ripping apart my automatic tranny when it gets warmer outside.......the tranny is dead, and I'm curious to see what was wrong with it.

Gregg86DX
02-03-2004, 12:14 PM
why not selling it. you can make some money

Well, it's for a B20A, so I'm not sure if there is really a market for it, but I hate to destroy it, since it's rare and, as far as I know, it's a good tranny.

The only reason I am tearing it down is to get at the differential. I figure if it is the same as the 5 speed differential, then I'll have a spare. I have just been doing some research, however, and it appears the differentials are not the same. I also looked at the shop manual on Paul's site and the process of tearing down the auto is kinda a pain and requires a couple of special tools.

At this point, I say screw it. I'm just going to leave it alone.

Gregg