PDA

View Full Version : Stock Horsepower for an 88 Accord DX HB.

zerotap
02-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Ok guys what's the stock motor and horsepower for an 88 Honda Accord DX Hatchback ? Next year I plan on putting an engine together that can do around 300 Horsepower; can a standard block with proper internals and gaskets and tunning handle that ? Also when I put another engine in as long as I keep the same block and mod it the way I would like will I need to change the computer chip ? I know lots of questions but I just got the car and getting info together to come up with a plan. Thanks guys.

k-roy
02-03-2004, 06:08 PM
98 HP stock

zerotap
02-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Thanks. I got a after market exhaust on it when I bought it so I am not sure what Horsepower I got on it now till I get a dyno test on it which I plan on doing so I will know the stats before and after.
98 HP stock

johndej
02-03-2004, 06:45 PM
prob like 105 maybe. if its been treated nice, prob 75-80 at the wheels or so. here is a thread w/ a LX-i dynoed http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=29708 . it only made 86hp w/ an intake and was supposted to make 120 stock (not at the wheels). oh, about that 300hp idea, your best/cheapest bet to get even close to that is to get one of sean's turbo kits (this thread has some stuff in it http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=1740&highlight=turbo+kit )

k-roy
02-03-2004, 06:50 PM
If you want some real power you can remove vacuum lines, the cat, and egr. Then make a custom intake. Do that and you should get a nice increase.

wprocomp
02-03-2004, 06:54 PM
I think you get JDM/EURO spec performance#'s once you remove the vaccum lines...so 110hp or so,correct me if I am wrong kroy

shepherd79
02-03-2004, 07:18 PM
JDM carbed accord had 98 hp too. there was JDM A18 motor that was making 110hp.
stock USDM motor makes 98Hp at the flywheel. to make A20 put out 300WHP is not cheap.
usually it is 15-20% power loss through the tranny for HONDA. so take 98hp - 20hp loss (20%) = 78hp. you will have a long way to go to get to 300hp mark and it won't be easy.

HondaBoy
02-03-2004, 09:32 PM
well all i can say is you will best get around 215 outta the 2.0 sohc. thats with some good shit i can say. anyway, yeah, my 87 carb is probley making about 65hp on a good day, rated at 98hp. its not all about how much power in this small of a car. that would be because of its under 3000lbs weight! so, little hp is felt. i would say if you put anything in a 3gee with more than 140hp to the wheel, your gonna feel it.

zerotap
02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
thanks for info alex. yeah I know it won't be easy and I am thinking about 5g's or so total cost just for engine with turbo, high performance manifold, etc. that'll take roughly two years to do I am thinking with my budget.
JDM carbed accord had 98 hp too. there was JDM A18 motor that was making 110hp.
stock USDM motor makes 98Hp at the flywheel. to make A20 put out 300WHP is not cheap.
usually it is 15-20% power loss through the tranny for HONDA. so take 98hp - 20hp loss (20%) = 78hp. you will have a long way to go to get to 300hp mark and it won't be easy.

zerotap
02-03-2004, 11:53 PM
Well the 300WHP was gonna be with some NOS. However I am not sure if a standard 2.0 ltr block can take that kinda punishment w/o frying the internal gaskets and what not. what do u think ? My goal is to get about 200 or so regular engine w turbo however I do not plan on racing it so I am really rethinking the NOS idea it just sounds so cool can't help but drool yanno ? :)
well all i can say is you will best get around 215 outta the 2.0 sohc. thats with some good shit i can say. anyway, yeah, my 87 carb is probley making about 65hp on a good day, rated at 98hp. its not all about how much power in this small of a car. that would be because of its under 3000lbs weight! so, little hp is felt. i would say if you put anything in a 3gee with more than 140hp to the wheel, your gonna feel it.

k-roy
02-04-2004, 12:00 AM
Well the 300WHP was gonna be with some NOS. However I am not sure if a standard 2.0 ltr block can take that kinda punishment w/o frying the internal gaskets and what not. what do u think ? My goal is to get about 200 or so regular engine w turbo however I do not plan on racing it so I am really rethinking the NOS idea it just sounds so cool can't help but drool yanno ? :)
Talk to sean.
his website is www.accordcentral.com

Blue Impact
02-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Dude, if you don't plan on racing then what's the point of making your car fast? I'm not saying you should dump all that money in your car for nothing. Afterall, it's your money and do with it as you please. I don't know how many horses a turbo'd A20 will make, but I'm certain that a turbo'd B18C1 will surpass that 200 horse mark. I think you should really think it over of how you want to spend your money, my friend. Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

mykwikcoupe
02-04-2004, 12:11 AM
about the NO2 idea. When and how often do you REALLY think your going to use it? My next step for my bird is either NO2 or ripping out the entire engine and redoing the bottomend for more power. I thought about the t-rex kit for quite a while. I finally got asked "How often do you plan on pushing that button and when would you actually use it"? Realisticly on the street you probably wont, unless you watch @F@F and believe all that crap. I chose to go with a little harder type of power but alot more reliable and dependable. Build the block internally to handle a turbo of dynamic porportions (Just in case you decide to go turbo W/ NO2 one day) and do seans turbo. It looks like itll be a good way to get some cheap power. I have more in my turbo kit than he is charging for his whole kit engine and all. Thats my opinion. Mike

zerotap
02-04-2004, 02:19 AM
I don't believe in the F&F crap either even though it's cool to watch. I am thinking just turbo with cold air in take and good exhaust and see what kind of power I can get. The more I think about it the more I am thinking about 200 will be mroe than enough from what the other guys are saying especially because of the light weight of the car. Like I said right now it's jotting down ideas and gathering info engine project won't be till next year.
about the NO2 idea. When and how often do you REALLY think your going to use it? My next step for my bird is either NO2 or ripping out the entire engine and redoing the bottomend for more power. I thought about the t-rex kit for quite a while. I finally got asked "How often do you plan on pushing that button and when would you actually use it"? Realisticly on the street you probably wont, unless you watch @F@F and believe all that crap. I chose to go with a little harder type of power but alot more reliable and dependable. Build the block internally to handle a turbo of dynamic porportions (Just in case you decide to go turbo W/ NO2 one day) and do seans turbo. It looks like itll be a good way to get some cheap power. I have more in my turbo kit than he is charging for his whole kit engine and all. Thats my opinion. Mike

shepherd79
02-04-2004, 04:53 AM
Because you have DX model, it is carbed model, you will have to convert to EFi first. Talk to Sean about GM ecu and turbo package. You will be able to run 8psi with GM ECU conversion with no problems. it should put you past 150hp mark easy.

pip
02-04-2004, 06:30 AM
go high compression N/A, no turbo lag, no conversions, u can make nice power too, the carbed engines are simple and easy to work with if u have the parts, just throw a weber one, get a package from sean for a cylinder head, forged rods and pistons, cam, FPR, fuel pump, full exhaust, intake, ignition... i have no idea what u'd put out but itd be more that 140hp

smirk
03-25-2012, 07:39 AM
You could just turbo and spray no2 into the intercooler :D

gfrg88
03-25-2012, 07:51 AM
holly old fucking thread batman!!!