PDA

View Full Version : Custom Made!!! Under $20

Magny
02-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Damn, and it was sooo easy too!!!

OF course I had to :beat: the sh*t out of it to get it in, but its in.

Anyways all you gotta do is go to O.S.H. or any hardware store (depending where you live that has metal supplies) and buy a 4 foot 1 inch steel square pipe. Then just cut the angles to clear the lip and to get the nuts back on. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT put the lock washer under the pipe, put it on top. Course order is lock washer first then nut, common sense.
May not look pretty at first, but it's a start. I installed mine with the help of my old autoshop teacher. Had access to the saws and drills to get this thing to work. Oh and another thing, use a rubber mallet instead of a steel head hammer or sludge otherwise you bend the metal.

I can custom fab more, but the problem is I can only think that since I have a 86 accord lx that all the others are different sizes, so you have to do it. I'm just providing information. I'll try to get pics of the bar when I get the chance. Im alsp thinkin of painting it, but since it was a b*tch to get on, I'm just gonna leave it for now. Probably might just paint it while its on. Of course I'll clean it up first to make it look good, but for now its just plain ol steel.

After I installed it I went cruizin around. Did alot of turning in the Santa Cruz HWY 17, and I'll tell ya what, my back end of the car is more solid than ever.

I'm currently planning to custom fab a bar for the front tower using the same square steel bar. I was thinkin about the aluminum bars, but the guys at O.S.H.(here where I live) said that it would rip apart for the application that I am doing, so I went with steel for its strength. I know steel is heavier, but I'd rather have something thats gonna last instead of ripping apart on me in a turn.

dXsquared
02-03-2004, 08:27 PM
haha.. might wanna tell everyone that your talking about a rear strut bar.. its very unobvious till the 3rd paragraph or so

Travis

Magny
02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
Yeah I just realized that just now lol. Oh well.

*ATTENTION*

My post was meant to say the rear strut tower brace in the start, but I goofed. My fault, I apologize about that.

buish
02-04-2004, 01:16 AM
yeah, there was a FAQ i saw on a 240sx, that's what some people did.

shepherd79
02-04-2004, 05:05 AM
can you make how to?

danronian
02-04-2004, 11:29 AM
How about some pictures of your creation?

Justin86
02-04-2004, 03:59 PM
damn way to bust out with the old school, redneck style strut bar! :D

Magny
02-04-2004, 04:00 PM
I actually took pictures of it but quality of it is crapy, can only view it at a small size.

so to see the pics, view them at my cardomain.com link.

Magny
02-05-2004, 03:09 PM
can you make how to?

I could do this, but unless all cars are made with the same dimensions I can't really give accurate measurements. Let me know if you still want me to do a how to and I'll post it up, with a BMP of the cuts you will need to make at the end of the bars. It's really simple actually, anyone could do this. As long as they have the right equipment. I'll start with text form and I'll send a BMP of the cuts so that way someone can post the pics for me. I'll try to get a close-up look of the cutted ends so they can get the idea in reality compared what the BMP is describing.

Magny
02-05-2004, 09:43 PM
Ok everyone, I am currently in the measurement and R&R phaze of my front upper strut bar for our carbed cars. I just hope all the cars are the same measurements, then I'll beable to make a bunch for everyone. Or I can send it to someone who has access to a welder, until I move into a house and get one. More on my progress will be posted.