PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions about the future of my 3gee

Mystic1
02-03-2004, 09:19 PM
I am going to be taking a job doing some long haul trucking and will only be home about 4 or 5 days every 2-3 months. I can store my car with my parents if I want but it would hardly ever be driven, or I could sell it. One thought I had was to send money to my parents to have some of the mods I want done compleated. That sounds good to me but I want to do most of it myself for the bragging rights so to speak. I love me ride and would hate to see it go but a car that would only see about 200 to 300 miles a year is bound to start having problems. I will be taking the job for at least a year. Any opinions are welcome.

blazin3gen
02-03-2004, 09:26 PM
oo man dont trust your parents with mods god know what will happen lol

hmm tough choice though if i were in your shoes i would just hold out on the accord for awhile till i had time for it hell its better u wont put miles on the sucker :D

DigitaLuminescence
02-03-2004, 09:51 PM
I barely let my parents touch my car, much less put mods on it. If they did anything like that it would probably blow up or something. I have to concur with blazin3gen, hold out a little bit. Keep the car and just tell the parents to start and run it for about 5-10 minutes every few days, that'll keep it working as you left it. It did for my car when I was living in the UK.

Mystic1
02-04-2004, 05:17 AM
I wouldn't be having the mods done by my parents just having them take it from shop to shop for me and I would be in direct contact with the shop. My dad was in the street racing and show seen when he was younger so I have some trust in him. When he was 21 he had a 9 second show winning 68 SS Camero that he built all himself. My mom on the other hand knows nothing about cars and can't drive a stick so she wouldn't be involved in the process.

nswst8
02-04-2004, 05:25 AM
Its your ride of memories and memories are good. Besides now that you have the dough to do the mods, this ride ought to be sweet when your done.
Just think of it this way "NO CAR PAYMENT" and free storage. Hum sound like good deal to me.
Hope this helps. LOL
Phil :cheers:

RustyHo88
02-04-2004, 06:23 AM
I would also keep the car. You probably don't plan to keep this new job forever I assume... You'll need a car when you are done. Just make sure you drive it when you get the chance.

cubert
02-04-2004, 10:56 AM
sell it..get something nicer when youre at home more often...whats the sense in keeping a car you can find a replacement for easy as pie

Mystic1
02-04-2004, 05:19 PM
I could sell it but I would never get out of it what its worth. In the last 6 months there has been over $1300 in work done to it. I'm leaning twards keeping it. What do I really have to loose. Also I'm on the coast and finding an older car with as little rust as mine has dosn't happen every day.

Mystic1
02-13-2004, 10:11 PM
For thoes that care I have desided to keep my car while I am gone. What happens when I come back will be another story. I have been driving my sisters 2003 Mazda speed turbo a little lately and must say that the 300+ hp (its minorly moded)sure is fun to play with. Either an engine swap or a new car will be in order.. ..I'm hopeing for an engine swap ;-)

A20A1
02-14-2004, 03:12 AM
What about seans turbo kit? Anyways tuck the money away in a bank account till you get back.

Elijah
02-14-2004, 03:32 AM
Keep the car save your money than on all your time off love it and mod it

Mystic1
02-14-2004, 04:59 AM
*voice of Homer S.* mmmmm....... turbo.

Never really thought about putting a turbo in my car, that could be just what it needs. Well, a year is a long time to plan things out. I should have a good plan by the time I get back and settle in to working on it. Engine swap; high pro rebuild; turbo; all of the above ....so many choices

accordlx
02-14-2004, 05:34 AM
Storing the car and driving it only occasionally will not really hurt your car other than deterioration of the hoses and other rubber parts and some rust spots may grow if you have them. If your car is in really good condition as some of the cars here are, let it sit under a cover while you are gone. I hate to say it but I rarely drive my Accord anymore. It has been relegated to the family loaner car and weekend cruiser since I have my BMW and a company car that I drive during the week. I really didn't drive my car more than a couple hundred miles over the course of the spring and summer and after reconnecting the battery, it always started up without a problem.

Blkblurr
02-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Keep the car and ask your parents to drive it once a month. Start it for about 15 min each week to keep the engine working well. 15 mins is long enough to get the water out of your exhaust that forms when the pipes are cold. I store my S2000 from Dec to April and that's what I do. Get a trickle battery charger to keep your battery in good shape.

Mystic1
02-14-2004, 02:18 PM
The plan is that my dad will drive it about once every week or 2. Between driving it the battery will be disconected. My mom wouldn't even start it if I asked, she hates the exhaust sound and is afraid of manuals. It will be in a water tight garage when its not being drivin. While I am on the road I am going to be looking for a second vechical that I can use as a daily driver allowing me more time when it comes to making my mods happen instead of trying to compleat things in a weekend just so I can drive it to work on monday.

Blkblurr
02-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck on your travels
:cheers:

Mystic1
02-16-2004, 01:56 PM
thanks, I'll do my best