PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint!?

HondaBoy
02-04-2004, 06:24 PM
well as being that i live in south texas, its almost always sunny! so when it starts getting warmer and more sunny its going to fade my interior some. thats why i wanted to get some tint for the windows. right now they are just all clear, so not protection to the fabric or other stuff. i wanted that chrome tint, really i wanted the gold kind. anyway, i found some that is supposed to be used on you house windows. it was at Home Depot. ive looked at how much a tint shop would charge for that platinum tint, thats what they call it. its usually over $200. i dont now if this stuff will work well on car windows, but its made by the same company that makes auto tint. anyone used this stuff? i may just spend the money and get it done professionally. i really dont like black tint though.

k-roy
02-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Go with 3M tint, it does not fade.

DBMaster
02-04-2004, 07:09 PM
The stuff for house windows doesn't work that well for cars. I have seen it fade quicker and it gets scratched more easily. The stuff for car windows is "scratch resistant."

"Home of the Whataburger?" I guess I have seen this before. It's Corpus Christi. I lived there for two years myself. Very direct sun down there. My car was tinted before we moved there in 92 and two years didn't hurt it much. Keeping your car in a garage there at night is very important. Lots of heavy dew mixed with the corrosive dust that had a little salt and fallout from all the oil and chemical plants.

Mike89Accordcom
02-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I'd have it done professinaly. Most places use 3M. Get like 15-20% tint. Ya you'll pay around $200 usually. Come to WA, I'll get your whole car done for $50, hehe.

HondaBoy
02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
the places i have checked out used johnson tint, lumar tint, and there were a few other brands. this one place that has been around for ever is my next pick. people told me they dont charge as much as the other tint shops. i'll shop around before i get tint. i dont think i want to waste time doing a shitty job on tint myself because if you have ever done it before, it can be a real bitch not have all the little shit that makes it easy.

skull1441
02-07-2004, 01:07 PM
i used the "static cling" tint from walmart and its really nice, it dont fade :D

k-roy
02-08-2004, 01:24 PM
i used the "static cling" tint from walmart and its really nice, it dont fade :D
Give it time.

HondaBoy
02-08-2004, 08:22 PM
oh yeah, ive tried that static cling tint. thats what i had on the back windows. it didnt fade realy, but it was thick and the windows wouldnt roll down so its been taken off. ive been wanting to used that static cling stuff for the garage and my other house windows. dont now if that would be good but considering you can easily take it off it think it is. i havent had much time to check on places to get it done. so maybe this week i will. i wanna do it before summer because your not supposed to roll the windows down for a few days after its installed. mind you i dont have air conditioner working. i think i should just take the whole thing out, save some weight. too expensive to fix.

sccrsteve5
02-08-2004, 09:37 PM
how about the Axius Professional Tint Film...is that any good? i got the 20% Limo tint of that and am waiting to put it on until i can remove the purple crap from my current windows...does anyone know what the actual legal limit is in NM?

k-roy
02-08-2004, 10:26 PM
how about the Axius Professional Tint Film...is that any good? i got the 20% Limo tint of that and am waiting to put it on until i can remove the purple crap from my current windows...does anyone know what the actual legal limit is in NM?

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State%20Law%20Chart.htm

dna59
02-10-2004, 08:54 AM
I got mines done professionally for $80 USD. I made them do it 5% on the two front and 3% on the rest of them. I would say get it done professionally.

Bloodlust
02-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Im getting mine done professionally come spring. I got a quote for 200 bucks. Probably going with 15% tint.

HondaBoy
02-15-2004, 10:56 AM
i want to get mine done soon. should i wait till its warmer, or get it done now while its cold. i dont know if that makes any difference in how well the tint holds up or goes on. anyway, i cant roll em down for a bit after i get them done, so i dont wanna wait for warm weather.

DBMaster
02-15-2004, 02:27 PM
I remember a lot of places in Corpus that had signs saying they would tint your car for $50. Don't go to one of those. Even "lifetime" tint eventually goes bad. Mine was done in 1991 for $115 with Lumar film. It has held up very well and has eliminated any interior fading as well. The back window is starting to look a bit "blurry" which my favorite Artech shop tells me is the glue starting to break down. Eventually I will have to have it redone. Too bad the shop that did it in '91 is long since out of business.

I recently paid $265 to get our old-style Odyssey tinted. They used a German made film that has sort of a greenish hue to it which goes really well with Honda's Clover Green Pearl paint. Just be prepared to pay for good materials.