PDA

View Full Version : Could This Be Reason For Concern?

it's paid for
02-05-2004, 03:23 PM
I removed my EGR thingy and sort of capped it off . . . best I could, anyway . . . could this in any way affect the engine performance? BTW - I just went to a Weber carb and put on a rebuilt head.

Thanks,

IPF

PhydeauX
02-05-2004, 03:47 PM
As long as it doesn't leak its fine. Spray some carb cleaner at it, if the rpms change then it's got a leak.

andy

NXRacer
02-05-2004, 04:07 PM
as long as it doesnt leak and you dont have DEQ checks. But i guess if you have a webber carb you're not worrying about that anyway........

hows it running IPF?

k-roy
02-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Just make sure your cooling system is up to par

it's paid for
02-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks!

BTW - yesterday I almost crashed while driving - I was looking at a new Civic Si . . . geeze, I just think those are fabulous cars . . .

CLICK HERE TO VISIT HONDA'S CIVIC Si HOME PAGE (http://www.hondacars.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=Civic+Si&bhcp=1&BrowserDetected=True) http://www.hondacars.com/images/banners/2004/civic_si/exterior_gallery/photo_01_large.jpg

lightbulblxi
02-05-2004, 08:07 PM
the civics are okay, they look to rounded tho

dysiu
02-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Were you able to tune this car to run decent? It's kind of interesting how much stuff you went through with this project and how much you've learnedand. I hope it has a happy end.

it's paid for
02-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Were you able to tune this car to run decent? It's kind of interesting how much stuff you went through with this project and how much you've learnedand. I hope it has a happy end.
Okay - the car will run . . . I put about 20 miles on it last Saturday . . . usually, to start the car it goes something like this:

Get in the car
Smile coz you're in your favorite most bootiful car in the wurld
turn the key
hear the car struggling to start - sort of sputtering
floor the accellerator
engine chuggs
combustion finally starts but engine is really slow even though accellerator pedal stays floored
engine slowly, slowly, slowly gains rpms
engine finally revs up and sounds good
car won't idle worth crap
either the carb must be set to idle "high" or you have to keep feathering the accelerator pedal

. . . so . . . that's where I am . . . but . . . IT RUNS!!!

I think if I can somehow just set the valve timing right then re-check the ignition timing it'll be a whole new car . . .

. . . at least . . . that's what I'm hoping.

Happy Honda-ing,

IPF

k-roy
02-06-2004, 01:44 AM
I think you should just bite the bullet and take the car to a tuner to have the carb jetted correctly. They can also set the timing correctly. Its a slow, tedious process of trial and error.

http://www.hondacars.com/images/banners/2004/civic_si/exterior_gallery/photo_01_large.jpg
*Sticks finger down throat*
High center of gravity, overweight, MacPherson struts, not as fast as one would think. All that for a little under $20k. Sorry, I'll pass.

it's paid for
02-06-2004, 10:17 AM
I think you should just bite the bullet and take the car to a tuner to have the carb jetted correctly. They can also set the timing correctly. Its a slow, tedious process of trial and error.

Great suggestion . . . I'll go this route if I can't fix it Saturday . . . but . . . finding a real, qualified mechanic where I live might be difficult . . . there's my next door neighbor - he's a mechanic and a really nice guy - I'll give it to him! Why didn't I think of that sooner?

Thanks,

IPF

1988starter
02-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Good luck. So besides the rough idle how do youlike the webber was it a nice power increase for you

it's paid for
02-07-2004, 07:46 AM
Good luck. So besides the rough idle how do youlike the webber was it a nice power increase for you
The car is running on about half power - builds power slowly and very hard to start & won't idle . . . so, I think the valve timing is off, which is what I'm going to investigate today (Saturday) and hopefully fix . . .

Mike's89AccordLX
02-07-2004, 07:57 AM
MAn it really sounds like a vacuum leak. Spray some carb cleaner over every vac. line that you have to find it easier (while car is running) and then you will hear the rpms change if there's a leak.

shepherd79
02-07-2004, 09:06 AM
you problem is vacuum leak somewhere. i mean major leak.
check around the intake manifold. if you see anything that is not pluged, plug it.
if that doesn't fix it, you really f**ked the timing