PDA

View Full Version : Repainting bumper strip....

XxDark_AccordxX
02-05-2004, 03:57 PM
:werd: Well ive decided to repaint the trim going around my front and back bumpers cuz they're supposed to be a dark grey and they look silver. So i went out and bought black spray paint cuz ive decided to just redue it black. The first time i tried to spray it on there, the paint just slid right off so that didnt work. Then i went to home depot and this guy told me that i had to spray plastic primer on there first, then hit it with the paint. So thats what i did. The primer stayed no prob, but the paint is still sliding off and refusing to stay on there. What paint can i use that will look good and not slide off? Cuz the trim just seems to be rejecting anything i put on it.. :gun:

Ravenix
02-05-2004, 04:11 PM
bumper paint lol, seriously, i think it is called bumper black

XxDark_AccordxX
02-05-2004, 04:12 PM
bumper paint lol, seriously, i think it is called bumper black
lol well duhh. no thats the one i bought. it says its especially for all bumpers but it slid off either way

'89AccordLX(Rus)
02-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Have you used any treatments on the strips? Armorall? These products will not let the paint adhere because they make the surface of the plastic oily. You can use alcohol or acetone to clean it up as well as you can and then give it another try. Hope this helps.

Gregg86DX
02-05-2004, 05:34 PM
There are spray cleaners made for plastic. Try to find a place that sells SEM products and check with them.

lightbulblxi
02-05-2004, 06:15 PM
yea, clean them good

lightbulblxi
02-05-2004, 06:25 PM
stupid double posts!

XxDark_AccordxX
02-06-2004, 02:03 PM
yeah im thinking the armorall was doing it so cleaned it and re- sprayed the paint on. it worked but some of it bubbled up a bit. i guess i gotta redue those parts. thanks for the help tho guys

DBMaster
02-06-2004, 02:09 PM
I had to use acetone and sand paper to clean mine up. The first two times I painted I ended up having bits of paint chip off. The third time it has held on much better. I guess it is pretty near impossible to get ALL of that oily stuff out of the plastic.

XxDark_AccordxX
02-06-2004, 02:11 PM
yeah thats what its doing to me. its chippin off a bit and bubbling. It does not wanna stay on good.

XxDark_AccordxX
02-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Maybe ill try that acetone stuff. Im probably gonna hafta redue all of it anyways

Mike's89AccordLX
02-06-2004, 02:23 PM
I know krylon fusion would probably do it b/c that bonds to plastics at a molecular level. I know another member has tried that paint on their bumper. And I don't think he used a primer at all. I know he preped the surface good. Try lightly sanding the surface down with like 1000 grit sand paper and then use the rubbing alcohol to clean it and then when dry paint it. Make sure you mask it off and are painting in a closed space so you don't get dust or dirt on it.

XxDark_AccordxX
02-06-2004, 02:24 PM
krylon fusion and he didnt have to use primer? hmm maybe ill try that. cuz i think primer is pointless on a bumper strip..

Mike's89AccordLX
02-06-2004, 02:28 PM
You can get that paint at any hobby stores.

XxDark_AccordxX
02-06-2004, 02:31 PM
nice. thanks alot mike. ill letcha know if it turns out good :)