PDA

View Full Version : Power or no power..that is the question?

soljaboy2000
02-06-2004, 01:55 AM
Okay I have a major power steering fluid leak from the bottom part where all the pipes are connected (the rack and pinion i guest). Well anyways I know its gonna be about $500 to get it fix or replaced but I rather remove it and gain more power than spend that much money. Okay now you know how when the fluid is low it real hard to turn.....now if you completly remove power steering will it still be hard to turn as if it was out of fluid??? I had an old mazda hatchback w/o power steering but it was easy to turn...

k-roy
02-06-2004, 01:58 AM
I ripped out my ps for the fuck of it. I think its kinda useless on such a light weight car.
Since you are going with some BIG ass rims soon that it be a little differant for you.

soljaboy2000
02-06-2004, 02:02 AM
LOL....I just cant stand when the fluid is low I have to turn like hell when trying to park and shit.....and I dont wanna spend about half a grand to get it fix.....and plus i heard you get lil more power by removing it anyway

k-roy
02-06-2004, 02:04 AM
You don't get more power, you get less of a power drain.
I would say its good for a couple of HP, notthin dramitic but noticable.

SteveDX89
02-06-2004, 03:03 AM
No power steering is kind of a pain in the ass. I had to deal with it once from my house to the auto parts store cause I cut the wrong belt off. LOL. I was trying to get the AC belt off. Since you're getting those big ass 18's, it will be worse. The low profile tire sidewall is very unforgiving. You don't have much flex in them so it'll basically be like turning a rim against the pavement.

BMS
02-06-2004, 03:11 AM
I didn't notice any power difference when I had my power steering belt off. I put it back on because I like the convenience of being able to turn my wheels from lock to lock with one finger while at a dead stop. I think that if you live in the city, or have to deal with small parking lots, just leave it on. And PS fluid is relatively cheap, so just keep it full.

pimp86LX
02-06-2004, 03:17 AM
Mine worked for about 2 weeks and the big pipe was rotted out and it quit on me. Its going to be harder than a non p/s rack because yours still moving all the ps parts by hand :P our 87 corolla has standard steering but its super easy. the 3g was a bitch at low speeds, but you could feel the road so much better without it. Our new saturn has really nice p/s but you can't feel jack S#$% with it.

Blkblurr
02-06-2004, 04:54 AM
Your rack and pinion is power assist which means it helps you move your wheel. Yow will not feel the road any more or less without fluid in your ps pump. It will not be any easier to move if you disconnect your pump and hoses than it is when the fluid is low. On cars that have no ps from the factory, the ratio of turns of the wheel to the tire full travel is different so that it is easier to turn the wheel. If you really want to run without power steering, you just need to get used to turning the wheel after the car is moving rather than trying to turn it when you are stopped.

soljaboy2000
02-06-2004, 12:15 PM
well, that answered my question. since it still be hard to turn with ps removed, i'll keep refilling it until i have enough dough to get it fix.....Oh and if it stays empty for long time, will it damage anything?

shepherd79
02-06-2004, 12:31 PM
if it is empty, you will damage the power steering pump.

accordlxi2.0
02-06-2004, 08:18 PM
jus get a used one from the j/y.
i like the honda p/s it's light @ low speed's but when @ 40 & ^ you can "feel" the road.

soljaboy2000
02-06-2004, 08:49 PM
jus get a used one from the j/y.
i like the honda p/s it's light @ low speed's but when @ 40 & ^ you can "feel" the road.
I heard it kinda time consuming to remove the power steering assy. And plus I doubt that any junk cars will access to the bottom without using about 10 jacks to lift it up since it prob wont have tires any wayz...I'll check anywayz though because need a spare tire :D:D

1988starter
02-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Mine was leaking for a while it sucked it was 500 new rack and all new lines I just kept refilling it till I had to do it 2 times a day and said fuck it

BITESIZE
02-06-2004, 11:30 PM
My rack and pinion was $100, my friend works at a parts store, power steering is a must if you have big ass rims. I would never trade powersteering for 2 hp!!!

soljaboy2000
02-07-2004, 01:45 AM
My rack and pinion was $100, my friend works at a parts store, power steering is a must if you have big ass rims. I would never trade powersteering for 2 hp!!!
Okay....can you get one for me for $100 bucks......or your just bragging cuz you got da hook up:D:D:D

Dennis
02-07-2004, 07:28 AM
i have a hole in my ps line, going right over the exhaust line and it smokes when the ps fluid drips on the exhaust, is this anything to worry about? is there a way i could just patch up the line?

Blkblurr
02-07-2004, 07:42 AM
That is a high pressure line so patching it won't work. You will run out of ps fluid eventually and loose power steering as well as cause damage to your ps pump. You need to replace the hose.

Dennis
02-07-2004, 07:48 AM
but is the smoking an issue? i havent filled the ps tank up yet since it smokes when it leaks, do you think the smoking could lead to anything like a fire/

Blkblurr
02-07-2004, 07:54 AM
I haven't heard of that happening but I guess it could. I don't think the exhaust manifold is hot enough to cause it to reach it's flash point.

Dennis
02-07-2004, 08:19 AM
anyone else know? i really need power steering since i park my car alot in parking spots and drive through tight spots. the smoking doesnt seem to cause any problems to me or the car except for the smell and the smoke. but other than that, it doesn't bother me.

accordlxi2.0
02-07-2004, 02:00 PM
noting will happen except a bunch of smoke will come from your hood but nothing BIG will happen

Blkblurr
02-07-2004, 04:05 PM
A trick I used when mine did that was wrap the leaking area with aluminum foil so that it would catch the ps fluid when it leaked. I left a space at the bottom of the foil so that ps fluid could collect and taped the ends of the foil where it met the hose with electrical tape. This kept the oil under control until I could get the new hose installed.

A20A1
02-08-2004, 11:58 PM
...Oh and if it stays empty for long time, will it damage anything?

You could damage the speedo cable... it needs lubrication and I believe the PS fluid runs thru that area to lubricate the cable where it meets the trans.