PDA

View Full Version : Quick winter question

jigga89SEi
02-06-2004, 12:03 PM
This Question is for people that have lowered cars and live in areas where it snows...
As you can see in my sig...I have an aftermarket suspension set-up.... This is the first year I've acctually drivin on real snow with this vehicle..and set-up..( I wouldn't call VA's winter last year "snowy")...Anyways....I have horrible horrible handling in these conditions....Does anyone else?.... i know our car is relatively light... Is this an issue with all 3gs or just the lowered ones? Or is it just my car?....I had extremely bald tires...So I got all four replaced..and still horrible handling....I believe it's because of the tightened suspension but I just wanted to ask.... All comments and replys are appreciated....
Jade
AkA
Jigabu

PsychoPaul
02-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm not a pro but i don't think it's the suspension. The other day we had a snow storm. i finished work @ 1:00am. Snow everywhere almost took me 15 minuts to get out of the parking lot, i was about 30 feet from the street entrance. Then i was driving home, on a normal day with a clean street it takes me 5 minutes. It took me 10 minutes and i burned ALL the stops! My speedo said i was doing 20 but granny on the sidewalk was passing me (what was she doing out at that time?). Sliding all over the place. Had to use the e-brake just to make my turns or i was gonna be like the titanic and hit "ice bergs" (sp?)...

BTW I'm all stock (rims, susp etc.)

DeathRat
02-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Up here, it was -40 C last couple of weeks with 8" of snow too.....I had purchased brand new tires for mine in the summer (August). Yeah it does slide around abit if you give it too much throttle, but in all other situations it handles great. Mine isn't lowered, but it does have a damn low Ground FX kit on though. i think it depends on what type of tires you run. Some do provide better traction on snow & ice than others. Plus, tires need to warm up first if they're to become more "stickier" on surfaces. I ran performance tires on another car. They were awesome on dry pavement, but on ANY "other" surface they were CRAP!

shepherd79
02-07-2004, 09:17 AM
what kind tires did you buy? it could be the tires.

gekko
02-08-2004, 05:50 AM
i'd say it would be the tires cuz i live in Norway , and i got 40mm drop and new tires on mine and it has great handling ..
before i had old "all year around" tires and i had handling like and oil tanker

SteveDX89
02-08-2004, 06:25 AM
I would have to say it's the tires too. The only thing that effects contact with the road is tires. If they're junk, they won't grip. I've got pretty new all seasons on the front of my car and they rock. I haven't gotten stuck all year and it goes through 6" of snow like a champ. I'm not lowered but I will be next winter. The 3g will be parked next winter though. :)

Justin86
02-08-2004, 10:33 AM
I would have to say it's the tires too. The only thing that effects contact with the road is tires. If they're junk, they won't grip. I've got pretty new all seasons on the front of my car and they rock. I haven't gotten stuck all year and it goes through 6" of snow like a champ. I'm not lowered but I will be next winter. The 3g will be parked next winter though. :)
It is most likely the tires, when i get snow here I just bust out my studded tires and I plow through the snow no problem.

jigga89SEi
02-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Acctually... I have a bent front left lower control arm...And possibly a rear left side one too(haven't checked.. to cold) But I think that may be the reason for the violent swings I have from the rear...

Bloodlust
02-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Yeah id say its the tires as well. Did you buy real snow tires or those POS "all weather" tires? This is the way I would do it:

Buy snow tires and put them on for the winter months (December - March) It could vary in VA, but thats usually how it is in PA.

And then when the winter months are over, and if you own rims and low pro tires, put those on until the winter months come along. Or if you dont own low pros, just put on your regular stock tires, and if you already have all weather tires, put those on as well. But since you said you have "aftermarket suspension" im figuring you lowered it and everything, so Id say if you still have stock tires and wheels, get yourself some nice rimsand low profiles.