PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade question

ICEMAN707
02-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Is it ok to upgrade just the front disc brakes to the bigger 88-89 lxi/sei disc brakes for now or will the braking % be out of whack and you have to do all four disc brakes at once? Also, where is the rear brake proportioning valve located so I can replace it? Also, is a new master cylinder from the 88-89 lxi/sei necessary also? The "how-to" is not very specific and all it does is basically show you what you need. Some good detailed answers would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

BITESIZE
02-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Do your brakes work.....? If they do then don't fack with them IMO.

shepherd79
02-07-2004, 05:44 AM
the proportion valve is located on driver side under the hood. i has metal lines comming in and out of it.
I would recomend thanging front brake and rear brakes with proportion valve at the same time. if you don't do that, you will screw up the brake system.
you can get LXI proportion valve and use it, if you are not going to swap rear disc brakes for a while.

ICEMAN707
02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
so the proportion valve IS part of the master cylinder huh? i guess i have it then. lol i thought it was something under the rear wheels. yeah i want to do this big brake upgrade cus im running 18's and i notice it takes awhile to stop lol. especially having heavy audio equipment in the trunk. the rear drums are not helping at all. i even ran the car with the handbrake on one time i forgot. plus having bigger 4 wheel disc brakes looks nicer and it looks easy enough to do. just swapping out wheel knuckle hub assemblies. i got brand new ball joints upper and lower front and back so i figured i would rather put them on Sei hub knuckle assemblies rather than my 87 Lxi's. i have to go to a qualified shop to do the lower ball joints right? they seem like a biotch to take out. they need to be pressed out with heavy machinery i guess. thanks alex.

shepherd79
02-07-2004, 09:10 AM
sorry, i made a mistake, it is not on the driver side.
it is on the passenger side.
you will see the lines. it should be silver color.
if you are going with SEI brakes you will have to replace the master cylinder anyway. the new one should be bigger.