PDA

View Full Version : Tube or Hose connected to Oil Pan

meangreenLXi
02-07-2004, 04:58 AM
I need help determining what to do to get rid of my oil leaks. I took my car to pepboys to get them to run a oil leak diagnostic. My personal mechanic said the engine is leaking from the top of the engine. I had a recent post about what that could be. I knew the oil pan gasket needed changing, but i wasn't sure if I need a new oil pan or not.

After pepboys took all day getting the diagnostic done they tell me. We noticed last week when we were fixing your rack and pinon that the oil pan was leaking, well now it's leaking and there's a tube or hose (I forgot what they said) that's now leaking. Now I only drive to work and back because of the $h!tty weather were having, but no hard driving or anything unusual because I was kinda babying the new rack. I didn't ask but I know they think I believe that they did it. Depending on who I talk to in there, it's usually a different story. I understand you have different opinions, but when you have the problem pinpointed, shouldn't the final outcome be the same. Alot of times at pepboys, this isn't the case.

Well they give me a estimate (over the phone) on changing the gasket, $163 (ha ha!). And they couldn't determine what that hose or tube was doing or where it goes to. Does anyone know? They said it was connected to the oil pan and I asked, if you change the oil pan is that going to stop the tube from leaking or do you have to change that. The guy says he doesn't know. I'm like you don't know aren't you the professionals? He's like hold for a minute. Comes back on the phone and says I really don't know what to tell you about that because I've never seen that before.

I plan on getting an oil pan from Autozone for $53 and gasket if it isn't included with the oil pan and having my mechanic put it on. My problem is what to do about the tube coming from the oil pan. Pepboys made it sound like it was mainly the gasket, that i believe because I had the same diagnostic last year but it was only leaking minimal and now it's losing about a half quart a week. Does anyone know what this tube or hose part is :werd: ?

shepherd79
02-07-2004, 05:39 AM
you don't need hole new oil pan. you can raplace the gasket and the tube your self.
the tube is known to be a cause of a lot of leaks. i changed mine and my leaks stoped.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=BREATHER+PIPE-OIL+FILTER
you can see that pipe (number 3) is a little pricy, but i tell one thing, you won't find right size if you go to autoparts store. No stores cares metric size pipes.
while you change the pipe you may want to change the O-ring (number 24) on the breather box. it is the only thing that keeps oil commin gout of the block through there.
the other thing, the oil filter base gasket (number 10) can be leaking too. that should cover the major leak problems on the back of the engine.

meangreenLXi
02-07-2004, 05:51 AM
To take off the oil pan do I have to remove any of the exhaust system. That would be the only reason I wouldn't be able to get at these parts.

danronian
02-08-2004, 09:19 PM
This is just a guess:
Couldn't that rubber pipe be leaking due to crankcase pressure and be blowing out the seals in the breather system b/c of a clogged pcv valve? Mine does the same thing and I found that mine started to leak a whole lot less once I cleaned out my previously clogged PCV. But this could just be a coincidence.

FoX
02-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Usually its not the venting pipe. Its usually the seal on the oil filter tower right above the pipe.(The part you screw the oil filter on) Its a seperate assembly and the seal looks really funny, but most honda places can replace it for you for about 15$