PDA

View Full Version : How I fixed the problem with my key sticking in the ignition

Blkblurr
02-07-2004, 07:35 AM
As many of you have posted, there is a common problem with 3gen accords with the keys sticking in the ignition when it's in park. I had this problem and noted it was the same as many others had described. My park indicator did not come on for several minutes. Until it comes on you cannot take your key out. This happens when it's cold out mostly. The fix: I took the console cover off by removing about 8 screws. I put the car into drive whcih allows you to pull the console cover off easier. If you have an SEi, as I do, you will need to pull the cd player and equilizer forward to get the console cover out. Next, remove the shift knob from the shift lever by removing the two small screws on either side of the shift knob at it's base. The knob comes straight off. Watch the spring behind the shift release button. Now you can remove the cover over the shift indicator switch. There are four bolts to remove. You must also remove the light socket and bulb assembly by rotating it until it comes out. This exposes the shift position indicator switch to the left of the shift lever. You will need to remove the three connectors, all grouped together in a cluster, by using a straight blade screwdriver to push down on the connector and then twist gently. The connector separates from the side facing the dash. The connector cluster can be removed from it's mount by sliding it toward the drivers side. Next remove the two bolts that hold the white switch body onto the shift mechanism. This should now be free from the shifter. You need to take the switch body apart so that it can be cleaned. The cause of the problem is the grease that Honda puts on the spring loaded contacts in this switch become sticky with age and gets harder when it's cold. This causes the contacts to stick or move very sluggishly. Now to take the switch apart use a straight blade screwdriver to pry the circuit board with the contacts on it out of the white switch body. Be careful when you do this because the sliding contact in this has a spring loaded ball on the back of it that applys a constant pressure to the switch contacts. It's very small and easy to lose. Once the switch is apart use fine sand paper to clean all the contact surfaces and I used mineral spirits to clean the sticky lube out of the spring loaded contacts on the sliding contact block. After that, they moved easily. Once this is done you put every thing back together by going in reverse order. Make sure the shifter is engaged into the sliding contact of the switch when you put the switch block back on. I did not add any contact lube during this cleaning because I didn't have any.

I hope this post saves some time for those who haven't tried this yet.
:cheers:

Coitis1
02-07-2004, 03:27 PM
sounds good, i'll probably try it if my car makes it through the winter. Its too cold to be messing around out there right now.