PDA

View Full Version : Primer over the old paint?

Dennis
02-07-2004, 08:30 AM
I don't plan on getting my car painted for awhile since I don't have alot of money so anyways, could I just primer my whole car gray over the stock paint or will it bubble up? Then whenever I get it painted I'll sand it all down, re-primer it proffesionally and get it painted. However right now I just want my car a solid color. :kekeke:

pearldrop
02-07-2004, 10:33 AM
If you are going to primer it, at least spend the $70 for a gallon of real gray primer and not rattle can. If you rattle can it, you will need to spend a long time sanding to get it all the way off because it is incompatible with automotive paint. You will probably spend $35 in rattle can anyway to make sure you cover the whole car. So just find somebody with a spray gun and compressor and spend the weekend in the shop.

If you want to go with a colored primer, plan to spend more. I paid $250 a gallon for my red primer.

deth101
02-07-2004, 10:58 AM
pearldrop is right and yes you should lightly sand it to rough it up some or at the least use a deglosser

skull1441
02-07-2004, 12:16 PM
If you are going to primer it, at least spend the $70 for a gallon of real gray primer and not rattle can. If you rattle can it, you will need to spend a long time sanding to get it all the way off because it is incompatible with automotive paint. You will probably spend $35 in rattle can anyway to make sure you cover the whole car. So just find somebody with a spray gun and compressor and spend the weekend in the shop.

If you want to go with a colored primer, plan to spend more. I paid $250 a gallon for my red primer.

what is the " $70 real gray primer " called ??

dXsquared
02-07-2004, 12:18 PM
go to a paint shop and ask for a gallon of primer.. get grey or black.. the red is ugly.. unless you wanna paint your car red

Travis