PDA

View Full Version : Squeling Belts . . . & New Tires!!!

it's paid for
02-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I got the Goodyear, stock tires 185/70 R13's . . . good for 50,000 miles (yeah, right) . . . anyway, they were only $214 at Walmart . . . I'm in no position to get the 16 or 17 in wheels & tires at this point . . . there was a mix of tires on it 165/80's . . . 185/80's . . . nasty . . .

Also - the squealing - when the engine starts up I hear a squeal - I'm guessing it's the belt for the alternator/water pump . . . izzit too loose or too tight? I guess it could also be the power steering belt . . . all belts are new . . . so . . . now what do I do?

Thanks,

IPF

Blkblurr
02-07-2004, 04:07 PM
it's too loose or worn. The squeal you hear is the belt slipping.

danronian
02-08-2004, 09:10 PM
I would guess it is loose since you said it is new. Just follow the directions in the manual for how tight to make the belt until you get used to how tight they should be. Mine does the same thing when it's cold outside. For me its mostly due to the pulleys being shiny from being so old and the cold rubber, that and the nut to loosen the pivot for the powersteering is almost stripped so I need one of those before I can barely get it tightened like last time (I guess I could always use vice-grips though).

k-roy
02-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Your belts are too loose. Tighten them so when you pull on the center there is less than an inch of play in them. Also you can get a can of "belt dressing" for a couple of bucks to condition the rubber and prolong the life. It helps with squeaking too, only if they are tight though.

it's paid for
02-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Your belts are too loose. Tighten them so when you pull on the center there is less than an inch of play in them. Also you can get a can of "belt dressing" for a couple of bucks to condition the rubber and prolong the life. It helps with squeaking too, only if they are tight though.

Yeah . . . I tightened them yesterday before I left & . . . no more sqealling . . . on my 2G, it took all of about 90 seconds to loosen & then retighten each one . . . really quick & easy . . . maybe it's to be expected with new belts - maybe they need to be adjusted soon after installation for the first time . . .

Thanks,

IPF