PDA

View Full Version : U T O P I A ! ! ! Now, It Really Runs!!!

it's paid for
02-07-2004, 06:55 PM
started thinking about it . . . vacuum leak suggestion (another thread) . . . while the car was running I sprayed the capped EGR manifold with WD-40 . . . but nothing happened - no change in engine speed - thus, I was convinced there was no leak there . . .

. . . then . . . I thought, maybe the cheap, home-made "cap" I put on the EGR manifold was leaking . . . so . . . I took it off, removed the "cap" I made for it (thin aluminum) and cleaned it with brake cleaner & scrubbed it well (in an effort to make this stuff stick) and then put in the "epoxy weld" stuff I got at the auto parts store . . . the plug worked . . . I started the engine and it ran like a new one . . . purrs . . . no chug-chug . . . no wandering idle speed . . .

. . . this is fantastic . . .

I have only one thing to say:

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

. . . more later ...

shepherd79
02-07-2004, 07:19 PM
it is about time.

1988starter
02-07-2004, 08:02 PM
sweet now get that secondary open and you will be all set. Even better is now you can take it on that trip

it's paid for
02-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I just got up here . . . 363.4 miles - 90% was interstate highway . . . I started out going about 70 for the first hour . . . then got up to 75 during the 2nd hour . . . then I drove 80 for the next two hours and then drove about 70 during the last hour and 10 minutes . . . I think the car is running great!

:cool2:

Thanks again everyone!

WOO-HOO!!!

k-roy
02-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Excelent, glad to hear it all worked out.
Just think 2 weeks ago you were ready to give up and drop a couple grand on another car.

1988starter
02-08-2004, 07:00 PM
I am so glad to hear it.. Now that the vacume leak is fixed how do you like the webber. Long live the 83 wooooo yeaaaa

k-roy
02-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Damn that car is older then most of our members.

danronian
02-08-2004, 09:04 PM
After all of that work it's great the car finally runs right! I felt the same way when I finally got my malibu together after taking the whole thing apart many times to figure out I had a cracked head. Now for the carb tuning!

seancornelis
02-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Awesome, glad to hear another 2g is back on the road!!

it's paid for
02-09-2004, 10:20 AM
I am so glad to hear it.. Now that the vacume leak is fixed how do you like the webber. Long live the 83 wooooo yeaaaa
Yeah - I hope I can figure out how to get the most potential from it . . . after what I've learned thus far, it should be a piece of cake . . .

Can we talk about valve timing? Thanks. I put the flywheel on the single "t" mark and then removed the valve cover & cam pulley cover, and used my mirror to check the alignment . . . it was off by a bit so I marked the cam pulley where it "should" be & changed it . . . looked at it again and it was even more "off" in the opposite direction . . . so . . . I just said we'll just have to try it and, if it doesn't work, I'll put it back . . . right? But it DID work . . . I totally don't understand this stuff - and I have the photos but can't post them while I'm at work . . .

Hey . . . it's running great & that's all I really care about at this point . . . tweaking will come later . . .

Finally, I really hope somehow, someway I will have the opportunity to help others because without the collective advice & suggestions & especially the encouragement, I would NEVER have finished this project . . . I am collecting all the digital photos and creating a series of web pages to document this process & hopefully, help someone avoid the pitfalls I encountered . . . I can't imagine doing this project without "your" help . . . again, THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!!!!

Happy Honda-ing,

IPF

it's paid for
02-09-2004, 10:24 AM
. . . and one last thing . . . my wife actually cried real tears when this thing was done . . .

. . . but then . . . uh . . . maybe she was happy to get her car back and see me leaving again for another week . . . ?