PDA

View Full Version : Cv Boots

mattalica
02-08-2004, 12:59 PM
What Is The Easiest And Least Expensive Way To Replace My Cv Boots?

k-roy
02-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Just get the kind that is split. You can get it at any local parts store. All you have to do is jack up the car, remove the wheel, cut the old one off and slap the new one on.

If you get the regular kind you have to remove the shaft to install it.

After you take off the old one take a clean towel and wipe the joint down. DO NOT USE ANY CLEANERS OR CHEMICALS! If you do you will not get it all out and it will dissolve the greese. After you clean it slap on a liberal amount of greese and put the new boot on.

nswst8
02-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Those split are okay for a temporary fix, I recommend a new boot. There are remans out there for next to nothing and if you plan on keeping this ride for any length of time aon ewith a lifetime warranty is the way to go.
Hope this helps, LOL
Phil :cheers:

k-roy
02-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Those split are okay for a temporary fix, I recommend a new boot. There are remans out there for next to nothing and if you plan on keeping this ride for any length of time aon ewith a lifetime warranty is the way to go.
Hope this helps, LOL
I totally agree with you on this one. I have replaced both my driveshafts in the last year.

He was asking for a quick, easy and cheap fix.

nswst8
02-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Just my opinion, I hope that you didn't think I trying to say you weren't right.
I apologize if it sounded that way.

soljaboy2000
02-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Just get the kind that is split. You can get it at any local parts store. All you have to do is jack up the car, remove the wheel, cut the old one off and slap the new one on.

If you get the regular kind you have to remove the shaft to install it.

After you take off the old one take a clean towel and wipe the joint down. DO NOT USE ANY CLEANERS OR CHEMICALS! If you do you will not get it all out and it will dissolve the greese. After you clean it slap on a liberal amount of greese and put the new boot on.
Where can I find those split Boots at?

k-roy
02-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Any local parts store should have them. I don't know the exact term.
Basically a regular boot has to slip on over the end of the shaft.
The other kind is a replacement and is cut down one side so you can slip it on without removing the shaft.
I got one at autozone because I could only afford one driveshast and it made the other one hold out six more months untill I got around to replacing it with a remanufactured shaft. I replaced the broken driveshaft in 10 degrees with 2 feet of snow so I was not about to do the other side while it still worked.

jigga89SEi
02-09-2004, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't recomend just replacing the boots...Especially if it's been cracked for a while...alot of things could've got in there and it's just a matter of time before the whole joint goes...I agree with nswst8...Get an axle with a lifetime warranty....

k-roy
02-09-2004, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't recomend just replacing the boots...Especially if it's been cracked for a while...alot of things could've got in there and it's just a matter of time before the whole joint goes...I agree with nswst8...Get an axle with a lifetime warranty....

I agree with you guys. I have two reman shafts that are less than a year old.
I was just responding with the quickest, easiest and cheapest solution possible. That is what was asked.