PDA

View Full Version : Shifting, Shifters, and Shift Boots

troutz15
02-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Can someone explain what the hell double clutching is and what it does as far as acceleration, and i dont mean shifting without lettin off the gas. I drive and automatic by the way. Does anyone have a ractive or momo automatic shift knob installed? if so does it bolt right in? And does anyone have a MOMO parkin brake handle and boot installed? cuz those look really kris and i want to make sure they fit without alotta trouble b4 i go and get one.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Well first off you need a 5 speed to do it. And if you want to ruin a clutch then you do it. It kinda gives you a little boost in acceleration. When you're driving and you want to get a boost just push the clutch and let off really fast "popping" the clutch. And I think someone needs to stop watching a certain movie. Why do you think you granny shift or something? And you might want to try ebay. Nothing will just fit perfect so you will have to some modifications.

SteveDX89
02-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Double clutching occurs when you change gears. You push the clutch in and shift to neutral, rev the engine, push the clutch in and shift into the next gear. It's not required for our cars because the manual trannys have synchros.

shepherd79
02-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Double clutching occurs when you change gears. You push the clutch in and shift to neutral, rev the engine, push the clutch in and shift into the next gear. It's not required for our cars because the manual trannys have synchros.

well said Steve. the double shifting is very popular with big truck drivers.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Whoops I had my terms mixed up.

adams86lxi
02-08-2004, 06:04 PM
ye, the only time you would need to double clutch is if you are driving a car without syncros and you dont want it to grind! :cool:

Busted_Blue
02-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Power Shifting = Not letting go of gas and shifting
Double Clutching = Press clutch pedal, shift to neutral, release clutch pedal, rev match, press clutch, change into correct gear.

as far as popping the clutch while in gear..i dont see how that kicks your accelerations.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Busted blue try it, believe me it does. But if you like your clutch dont do it. Lets just say I found that out the hard way.

SteveDX89
02-08-2004, 06:59 PM
LOL! Founding out how strong your clutch is the hard way sucks. I used to do all kinds of burnouts in my first car and I blew the clutch. Being in high school, working part time @ 7 bucks an hour and paying for insurance and gas was a bitch to come up with $300 bucks to fix it.

Mike's89AccordLX
02-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Mine cost me $800 I needed a new flywheel too :)

lightbulblxi
02-08-2004, 08:09 PM
what i kno is that double clutching is most useful for turbo charged cars, it is basically used to get the turbo to spool up so u dont get turbo lag. i could be wrong tho.

mzabeefy
02-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Whenever I go into 2nd gear from 3rd, my tranny gives off a small grinding noise. However, I have found that if i "double-clutch" it, and rev the engine up while in neutral to where the RPM should be when I go into second, it seems to be fine. Does this happen to anyone else? or is my 2nd gear synchro out ?

AccordArizona89
02-08-2004, 08:57 PM
ya when i had to tow my car the tow truck driver asked me if i double shift, knowing cause my clutch went out. he told me to start doing it...

Sabz5150
02-08-2004, 09:30 PM
what i kno is that double clutching is most useful for turbo charged cars, it is basically used to get the turbo to spool up so u dont get turbo lag. i could be wrong tho.

That's what something like a soft touch revlimiter is for. People will sometimes use a two step revlimiter (such as that from MSD) set to around 4000RPM and have it activated when the clutch is depressed. Basically they can keep their foot on the gas the entire time and not have to worry about over revving their engine and the turbo keeps a spinnin'.

Thedungeonz89
02-19-2004, 08:33 PM
Double clutching is a term used mostly in old cars!!! The cluthch had to be depressed and pulled out of gear then clutch is released and pressed again :cheers: and placed in next gear!!!!!1

od2681
02-19-2004, 10:38 PM
since wer are talkin bout shifting...
any one here know how to heel and toe....i practice all the time

Magny
02-19-2004, 10:56 PM
heel toe sucks major a$$, doesn't work for sh*t. the way I do it, is going into a lower gear into the turn and punching it when the time is right. I pull out faster than doing that heel toe bit. beat my own lap record doin it my way. first record I did was with the heel toe bit, then I tried it my way as I always do on the streets in traffic, and bested my time by 50 full seconds.

Busted_Blue
02-20-2004, 02:35 AM
heel toe sucks major a$$, doesn't work for sh*t. the way I do it, is going into a lower gear into the turn and punching it when the time is right. I pull out faster than doing that heel toe bit. beat my own lap record doin it my way. first record I did was with the heel toe bit, then I tried it my way as I always do on the streets in traffic, and bested my time by 50 full seconds.

wtf? Are you rev matching your gears? Im interested in what you do, please explain it.

I like heeltoe. In Mountain Passes, I feel like Heeltoe seems to be the fastest way to downshift while braking and turning all at the same time. Braking while downshifting at the same time allows you to be in the gear desired for exit. I prefer it for mountain passes, and what you seem to say seems like it will upset the weight of the car. At the limit of handling, it seems like your technique will upset the car's weight. But I dont know your method. Perhaps more details on it would be nice. Wouldn't hurt to learn a new technique as a driver.

Like that quote "To Each Man His Own."

gingerbreadman
02-20-2004, 04:54 AM
Whenever I go into 2nd gear from 3rd, my tranny gives off a small grinding noise. However, I have found that if i "double-clutch" it, and rev the engine up while in neutral to where the RPM should be when I go into second, it seems to be fine. Does this happen to anyone else? or is my 2nd gear synchro out ?

Mine does the same shit when i switch into 5th (GRRRRIIIIND) i hate it, it pisses me off big time does anyone know why this happens and what i could do to stop it from happening, it also happened 2 years ago in 3rd and 5th and then my clutch gave out, i had to replace the clutch and flywheel so i can't see why it still grinds in 5th. Back before when it was happening i was on the highway and 5th popped out into nuetral, i had to hold it in 5th to drive it sucked. thank you sooooooooo much if you guys can help me and mzabeefy out.

Magny
02-20-2004, 07:44 AM
wtf? Are you rev matching your gears? Im interested in what you do, please explain it.

I like heeltoe. In Mountain Passes, I feel like Heeltoe seems to be the fastest way to downshift while braking and turning all at the same time. Braking while downshifting at the same time allows you to be in the gear desired for exit. I prefer it for mountain passes, and what you seem to say seems like it will upset the weight of the car. At the limit of handling, it seems like your technique will upset the car's weight. But I dont know your method. Perhaps more details on it would be nice. Wouldn't hurt to learn a new technique as a driver.

Like that quote "To Each Man His Own."

Let's just say whe you are goin through a turn pretty fast, put it in one lower gear, but do not let the clutch out all the way. while doing this you slow down by letting it in and out (so the rpm's don't jump all the way to redline) in between full engagement. and it will give you a greater sense to know if you can actually hit it in that gear (if the rpm's are low enough) and pull out of the corner. kinda like if you wanted to brake faster, you put it in a lower gear and brake at the same time. its called engine braking, but don't do it too much, you need to watch the rpm's as you are doing this. I wish someone in my area can see how I do this so that way they will know what I mean.

od2681
02-20-2004, 12:54 PM
is the engine braking thing....the same as shift lock

Busted_Blue
02-20-2004, 01:25 PM
what part of california are you from magny? Im from SF, and go to school in San Jose. Maybe you can show me sometime :)

Magny
02-20-2004, 06:03 PM
what part of california are you from magny? Im from SF, and go to school in San Jose. Maybe you can show me sometime :)

when I have time to go to the track again, I'll let you know, either that or I can cruize you up 152 in gilroy. 152 has the sharpest corners known to me and I can take it NP, as long as there is no rain on the floor LOL. I would do highway 17 but those are too wide, can't really prove it there.

I remember when I had my 98 civic comin down 152 goin to gilroy, I drifted hella crazy and almost hit 3 on-coming cars. the person racing with me down the hill met up with me at the gas station in gilroy and asked me what happened, and I told him I hit the corner too hard and drifted. after that I asked him if he has seen any drift racing before, he said no, so I told him thats what it is kinda like. he was supprized I didn't fly off the cliff LOL. although I nearly pissed my pants when that happened, cause I thought I was going to jump off that cliff. this happened when there was water all over. thats why I hope there isn't any water when we go up there LOL. I think what caused me to slide into a drift was those center lines on the road being slick, cause my back end slipped out quick.