PDA

View Full Version : Keys and Locks...

Coitis1
07-07-2002, 10:35 AM
I've only got 1 key for my car and it opens the doors, the automatic shift lock, and the ignition. For some reason it will fit in trunk, glove box, and the lock above the backseat, but it doesnt turn. Do u guys have more than one key for those locks or is there something else i just don't know. Thanks..

pimp86LX
07-07-2002, 11:16 AM
i've got one for doors, trunk, trunk&gas lock, and then a separate one for ignition

89accordlxi
07-07-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Coitis1
I've only got 1 key for my car and it opens the doors, the automatic shift lock, and the ignition. For some reason it will fit in trunk, glove box, and the lock above the backseat, but it doesnt turn. Do u guys have more than one key for those locks or is there something else i just don't know. Thanks..

Well, it looks to me like you have the spare key. The spare or service key only allows you to open doors and start the car. It is the key you should give to the service people when you take your car in for repairs. This way, they will be unable to open your trunk, back seat or glove box.. Normally, we only have one key that opens every thing and starts the car, plus the spare. So it seems you are missing the original system key.. I have no idea how you would go about getting one either.. As long as your glove box and trunk release locks are unlocked you should be ok. You will just never be able to lock them. Plus you have the lever in the trunk you can use to lower the back seat...

That's too bad though that you don't have the original key..

Hope this answered your question.

Peace out.

87accordlx
07-07-2002, 08:18 PM
there is a 4 digit number stamped into the key , take that key to a honda dealer with proof of ownership of the car and they will make u an original key to open all the locks for like 5 bux
that's what i had to do

hope this helps

snapper
07-08-2002, 07:57 AM
You don't even need to have an original key. I went to the honda dealer with my registration card. They really only need to know the VIN number and they'll make they key right then and there for you. It only cost me $10 or so. It's expensive, but then you have a genuine honda key like when you first bought it. It beats the shitty keys they make at the hardware store.

Shawn

89AccordDXHB
07-08-2002, 09:10 AM
I bought the car with an original Honda key. I made copies of it but none of the copies will open or lock the glove box although the original key does of course.

snapper
07-08-2002, 09:43 AM
I had the same problem with my key when I bought my car used. The person didn't have the original key, but a copy that was made on a non-Honda blank. I went to honda and they told me I had to get a Honda key from them. They didn't even ask to see the key I had. I just gave them my registration card, which had my VIN on it and then they gave me the key. They asked if I wanted to have a valet key too. I don't have a valet key, but from what 89accordlxi says it shouldn't open your glove compartment or trunk. If you put it in the key lock next to the trunk release lever I bet it won't turn that one either. You best bet is to go to honda and get another key. Tell them you don't want the valet key, but the one that opens everything. Of course I could be wrong.

Shawn

DBMaster
07-08-2002, 09:58 AM
I have never had any problems with copies of my master key. you have a "Master" key that opens everything and a "Valet" key that just works the ignition and doors.

As a sideline, I bought an Isuzu Oasis used last year. This was the Honda Odyssey (1st gen) sold with an Isuzu badge. None of the keys we got were original and were a little rough in the locks. I went through Isuzu Us to get a new key at an Isuszu dealer, although I got a universal type HONDA key blank that works like a charm.

If you can get one original key, get a copy made somewhere where they have the totally automated system (like home Depot) and stash your original as a clean master.

Just a suggestion.

Later.

snapper
07-08-2002, 10:04 AM
There were blank honda keys on ebay for 86-89 last week. It's too late now though. When I went to honda they asked me if I wanted a valet key. I said no. I don't know if the copy non honda key I have is a valet or not. All I now is the only thing it will open is the door and turn the igntion. It doesn't open the glove compartment, trunk, or trunk/gas lock.

DBMaster
07-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Sounds like you have the valet key. I have all the original keys and the valet key has a round plastic head instead of the larger, trapezoid shaped head. I hav NEVER had problems with various universal key blanks. The choices they have a Home Depot even include keys that look very close to a factory Honda key.

You just need a good original made at a Honda dealer.

POS carb
07-08-2002, 11:21 AM
the valet key is what you have, the tip will be narrower than the standard keys, that's why you can't access the glove box or trunk. Take your VIN # to Honda, it's the best (maybe the only) way and they can pull up your record and make the key. For some reason my vin # didn't go through when I tried that but I probably read it wrong or the guy typed it wrong.

89 accord
07-08-2002, 01:39 PM
i had tha same problem wit my accord .just take that key to a locksmith and they can cut that key on a different blank like a master key blank and it will work. tha only difference between the two is tha valet key is a little longer at tha end. good luck>:stick:

L Squared
07-09-2002, 02:16 PM
So i have the original keys that came with the car. It's weird tho, only the valet keys open the doors. and the Other no round headed key works the igintion. And neither open the trunk. I'm not sure what the deal is but mayhaps i'll run to honda and have them remade. any thoughts on this?

-Lē

buster133
07-09-2002, 06:45 PM
I have noticed that the four digit key code is also stamped on the key lock cylinder for the glove box. I have the part numbers for the oem master and valet key blanks from Honda if anyone is interested.

snapper
07-10-2002, 06:47 AM
Here's uncut honda blank keys on ebay
uncut honda keys (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1842607232)