PDA

View Full Version : A/C removal/ front bumper

dXsquared
02-08-2004, 08:59 PM
ok guys... i have a 88 sedan parts car.. i wnt to throw the bumper cover on my hatch so i can have the clear lights... will it look bad?

and 2
i want to remove the airconditioning from the car cuz it makes SOOOO much clutter that i dont want...

how do i know theres any R12 in it? if i just crack a line, will i hear the gas escaping.. i dont have access to a/c stuff, so ill just unhook the upper line??
taking all the shit out isnt a big deal, i just dont wanna have fumes

thanks
Travis

dXsquared
02-08-2004, 09:15 PM
never mind the bumper thing.. i just need to know about the A/C... how do i safely check for gas in the lines???

Travis

k-roy
02-08-2004, 09:21 PM
On the ac line there should be a valve. Press it in with a screwdriver, if you hear a hissing there is pressure. Let it out untill it stops hissing then you can safely remove the lines. If you disconnect the lines with pressure in them too quickly bad bad things can happen. Make sure you do it outside and don't breathe in the R12. Last time I bled a AC line I did it in a closed garage (like a dumbass) and got all light headed, me and my buddy were slaphappy for a few minutes.
It is supposed to be professionally drained but that takes money, screw that.

nswst8
02-09-2004, 04:48 AM
For a diliberate act of releasing R12 into the atmosphere.
Do not let this stuff get in your eyes, it will blind you. and as kroy recommended inhaling the gases of R12 can be hazardous to your health.
Hope this helps, LOL
Phil :cheers:

Justin86
02-09-2004, 09:07 AM
On the ac line there should be a valve. Press it in with a screwdriver, if you hear a hissing there is pressure. Let it out untill it stops hissing then you can safely remove the lines. If you disconnect the lines with pressure in them too quickly bad bad things can happen. Make sure you do it outside and don't breathe in the R12. Last time I bled a AC line I did it in a closed garage (like a dumbass) and got all light headed, me and my buddy were slaphappy for a few minutes.
It is supposed to be professionally drained but that takes money, screw that.
Yea I learned that the hard way to. After I was all done draining it I realized hey this old car has the R12 A/C in it..... oh shit. :jaw:

HondaBoy
02-09-2004, 06:11 PM
later when i have money i may get my A/C system fixed, so i dont wanna take it out like i keep thinking. anyway, that is some funky stuff so yeah doing it in an open area is great. haha Kroy, you and your friend got high on a/c gas! hehe. sounds funny.

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 06:15 PM
alright guys.. i saw the valve and im gonna evac it tommorow.. thanks

oh yah.. anyone have a list of what i can take out and where its located??

im starting with the compressor, hoses and all little canisters under the hood... along with the condenser of course

Travis

Mac
02-09-2004, 06:57 PM
I think you just identified everything under the hood with the A/C. Compressor, condenser, receiver/drier and the lines.

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 07:06 PM
isnt there shit under the dash??? in teh passenger footwell?

i guess ill just look myself... i just hate th clutter it adds.. my first hatch had NOTHING under the hood... this one is sooo clutterd..

oh well.. thanks guys
Travis

Mac
02-09-2004, 07:14 PM
yep, it's the evaporator. Comes out easy, but I believe there is a sensor attached to it that you need.

Justin86
02-09-2004, 08:49 PM
if you pull it you need the adapter out of the Dx for the heater and blower. I'm still looking for one.

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 09:11 PM
yay.. got a DX with no AC... maybe ill try it

Travis