PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Steering Wheel Wobbling

hkplayer
02-09-2004, 09:38 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have read previous posts on this issue but mine is only slightly different and would appreciate all your inputs. Yes, my steering wheel does wobble at about 75km+ but it gets even more wobbley going downhill. I just got my front tires balanced and yes, my front discs/rotors are a little warped (and thin, thus not machineable). I have a feeling its not my brakes though that is causing the wobbling at higher speeds. What do you think?

Thanks for reading and thanks for your posts to come :)

Bloodlust
02-09-2004, 10:20 AM
I have the same problem, and my Dad was in the car at the time that it happened, and he never believed me before, and he said that it was a bad wheel bearing. Keep in mind Im not a mechanical type of guy and have a really bad memory, but I think thats what he said. Hope thats of some help.

hkplayer
02-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Thanks bloodlust, have you had the chance to fix the wheel bearing?

Bloodlust
02-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks bloodlust, have you had the chance to fix the wheel bearing?

Not yet, I just found out about it a few days ago, when I was at my dad's shop. Before I take care of that, i am putting my car in the shop for a week or so to get the rust taken care of and getting the xenon kit on. But thats first priority when it gets out of the shop. After all, I dont want my wheel to fall off when Im taking HostileJava and his wifey to the church to get married :D

hkplayer
02-09-2004, 02:00 PM
From what I have been reading, its a wheel bearing thing if a deep sound is coming out of the suspension of the car...I dont have that. Just the steering wheel wobbling at high speeds - even after a front tire balance (my alignment is also good). Is there anything else that can be causing this? Its a little freaky driving with the wheel like that...and for some reason, its wobbling more after the front tire balance!

Bloodlust
02-09-2004, 02:12 PM
From what I have been reading, its a wheel bearing thing if a deep sound is coming out of the suspension of the car...I dont have that. Just the steering wheel wobbling at high speeds - even after a front tire balance (my alignment is also good). Is there anything else that can be causing this? Its a little freaky driving with the wheel like that...and for some reason, its wobbling more after the front tire balance!

Yeah Im not sure what else could be causing it. Maybe you've hit a couple of potholes or something and it messed around with something. Like I said im not a very mechanical inclined person. The wheel bearing was my best bet, and I have no noise from my suspension whatsoever and my dad said that was what the problem was so I dont know whos right.

crwa
02-09-2004, 02:15 PM
MIne did that when I had my old rims on, and then when I threw my new ones it it was gone... What it could be is that one of the rims in front is a little tweeked from hitting a curb or pot holes and that could be whats happening... New tires wouldn't matter, but I'd try to put differnt rims on and see if that makes a difference...

I know exactly what your talking about with the wheel.. when your goin slow its fine but the faster you go the more it shakes... But try to rim switch, at least that would rule on one more possibility...

shepherd79
02-09-2004, 02:30 PM
your rims are not stright. it is eather they are bend or twisted.
the other thing, could be the rotors. if they warped and thin, they can be out of balance. replace the rotors first.

BMS
02-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Well, I am 89% sure that my bearings are shot, and I can tell you that there IS very much a lot of a ton of really loud much annoying crazy irritating noises coming from the wheels all the time. You'd know if that's what it was. I'm not saying it's not that, but if it gets real bad you'll know it real quick.

hkplayer
02-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys, I am considering all your input. Any others that are experienced in this giving advice would be awesome!

I am pretty certain its not my wheel bearings though.

crwa
02-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Its the rims then, if it were the rotors it would only happen when you break quickly... Not all the time like your sayin...

SteveDX89
02-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Check your tie rod ends.

MrBen
02-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Kinda the same thing going on for me. Replacing tie rod ends didnt help either. I'm taking it in tomorrow to get it all figured out, but I'm guessing it's going to be expensive.

hkplayer
02-09-2004, 07:47 PM
At least you can afford to get it figured out! I hope it ends well for both of us though, I dont think I can get it figured out by a mechanic anytime soon :( But anyways.

MrBen
02-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Well it helps to have parents, lol. Although I have paid for a lot of this car, my parents have helped a lot also. But yeah, we paid 600 to have axles and lower balljoints done and that didn't solve it, so mykwikcoupe and I did the inner and outer tie rod ends, that didn't help. Replaced a bent wheel, that didn't help. Balanced tires and got an alignment, that didn't help. Still got popping, still got wobble from about 35mph up. I'll let you know the outcome of my situation; maybe it will help you.

RED LXI
02-10-2004, 09:41 AM
I had a problem with exessive wobbleing... after changing arms, wheels, balljoints, bushings, inner and outer ends, and rotors the problems did not go away. Then I decided to get new struts and all my wobbles went away. I don't exactly know what was wrong with the struts maybe they were bent, but then again my car has a 3 inch. check the struts (just my .02). :burn:

hkplayer
02-10-2004, 10:54 AM
3 inch drop! Crazy but cool :) Thanks.

MrBen
02-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Stupid mechanic can't find anything wrong. I'm taking it somewhere else.

hkplayer
02-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Damn mechanics, why cant we all just be skilled in this crap...kind of like typing. Oh the bitterness, but I mean, we are all human I guess.

MrBen
02-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Okay well I have been told by two mechanics that some wobble in the steering wheel is NORMAL. It is largely dependent on your tires (radials, crappy, pos's, nice ones, etc). One of my mechanics said that back when he worked for Honda, they had a two finger rule. You put two fingers on the steering wheel like you are pinching it, and if you can't see the wobble, then it's fine. If your finger's don't stop the wobble, something is probably up.

Me personally I have expensive tires and practically everything is new except for the steering rack. I replaced lower balljoints, upper balljoints, axles, tie rod ends (inner and outer), had the suspension bushings checked... everything is fine. Apparently.

Also heard that many other people have gone through the same thing I have, with replacing damn near everything, and still having the wobble.

So hey, I guess I'm fine with that.

Hope this helps someone..

danronian
02-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Same with the front of my car. Everything has been replaced or checked in the front suspension and the only thing it could possibly be is the struts (they're not blown but are old). The wobbling is only at certain speeds around 60+ mph but it doesnt exceed the "finger rule" so I would say its fine with me and I'm sure don't care enough to replace my struts.

hkplayer
02-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the update and advice ghetto, I am sure this information will help more than myself. Cheers :)