PDA

View Full Version : automatic shift lock question!!!!!

puleosei89
02-09-2004, 12:14 PM
My friend and I were in my car the other day and he took my keys and stuck on in the automatic shift lock. how do you unlock it because it doesnt seem to unlock. thankz

A20A1
02-09-2004, 12:48 PM
you just push the key in the hole... you really don't need a key... just something that can fit in the hole and press on the lever inside.

Thats all it is... just a small lever that locks the shifter in place.

Coitis1
02-09-2004, 01:58 PM
yeah, its not much of a lock. U have to have the key pushed down for it to work; in other words, there is no way to just unlock it once and have free play w/ the shifter whenever.

soljaboy2000
02-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Thats why imma modify mines because anyone can steal it easily

puleosei89
02-09-2004, 03:00 PM
thanks guys ill go give it a try

A20A1
02-09-2004, 03:00 PM
You can remove the solenoid and locking lever. After that you only need to press the button to move the shifter.

BTW the shift lock locks the button not the shifter itself... I sorta got mixed up in the first post. Don't unplug the solenoid cause the car wont start.

puleosei89
02-09-2004, 03:05 PM
how do you remove the lever?

A20A1
02-09-2004, 03:24 PM
how do you remove the lever?

Actually just unbolt the solenoid and detatch the solenoids arm from the locking lever... the lever itself can stay in place it just falls aout of the way once the solenoid is removed.

Anyways you have to remove the shifter case to get to the solenoid, this is held on by 4 screws along the base.

Once the screws are off lift the plastic case off and you should see a gold colored box on the passenger side of the shifter. I believe it's held down by 2 nuts. It shouldn't be too hard to get the arm of the solenoid free... I forget what holds it in place... maybe a small cotter pin, I dunno.

Leave the electrical connection on the solenoid but move the solenoid out of the shifter case and hide it under the seat or something.

Or you can splice the (+/-) wires together and remove the solenoid.

puleosei89
02-09-2004, 06:17 PM
The only time it locks up agian is when i put it in park. other than that i can go through all the gears but then when its in park it locks. so the car needs a tune up so when i bring it ill have them look at it other than that ill just put it in neutral and pull the e brake

A20A1
02-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah thats what it's there for... so no one can stick the car in neutral and roll your car away... though they really don't need the key to unlock the shifter... but without the key in the ignition the steering locks up.