PDA

View Full Version : direct igniton

Chadroper
02-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to put direct ignition on a A20A3 engine where the ignition coil would be directly on top of the spark plug like on the new general motors cars. Maybe it would be possible to adapt the ignition system from GM's 2.2 ecotec engine?

DIS

k-roy
02-09-2004, 07:29 PM
Talk to Sean. He has a full GM DIS system that he custom adapted.

Do some searching on this site or go to his, www.accordcentral.com

zero.counter
02-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Ignition coil packs??

Chadroper
02-09-2004, 07:47 PM
yes. The ignition coil is directly on the spark plug so there is no spark plug wire.

zero.counter
02-09-2004, 08:25 PM
yes. The ignition coil is directly on the spark plug so there is no spark plug wire.
It would have been easier to say "distributorless" then... :)

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 08:38 PM
its not distributorless...

its called coil on plug... well thats what we call it around the shop

Suzuki areo's have it, some GM's are getting it

distributorless has a coil pack and plug wires, coil on plug has no plug wires!!

Travis

zero.counter
02-09-2004, 08:51 PM

distributorless has a coil pack and plug wires, coil on plug has no plug wires!!

Travis
You might want to do some homework little boy...

k-roy
02-09-2004, 08:56 PM

Travis

Hey don't leave out Honda, they have coil on the plug as well.
http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/BoatShow/Aquatrax2.JPG
Umm.......Honda Factory turbo..................*drool*

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 08:58 PM
haha.. what? im not saying that it HAS a distributor... im saying that distributorless ignition commonly refers to coil pack type ignition EXAMPLE GM 3100/3400/3800 series V6's

and what he is talking about is a coil on plug system that has no plug wires just a coil, mounted on the plug

EXAMPLE Suzuki Areo

so MR you think your super smart and im a dumbass kid, read this article.. maybe you'll gain some knowlege and wont have to look like an ass

http://members.aol.com/carleyware/library/copign.htm

heres one about DIS...
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/l/bldef_159.htm

can you see the difference SMART ASS??

Travis

zero.counter
02-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Read this for those who are a little lost...

zero.counter
02-09-2004, 09:04 PM
haha.. what? im not saying that it HAS a distributor... im saying that distributorless ignition commonly refers to coil pack type ignition EXAMPLE GM 3100/3400/3800 series V6's

and what he is talking about is a coil on plug system that has no plug wires just a coil, mounted on the plug

EXAMPLE Suzuki Areo

so MR you think your super smart and im a dumbass kid, read this article.. maybe you'll gain some knowlege and wont have to look like an ass

heres one about DIS...
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/l/bldef_159.htm

can you see the difference SMART ASS??

Travis

Don't get offended little guy, I know what I am talking about. You corrected me on something you know nothing of, DIS. I will not argue further with a canadian kid, I feel bad enough for you...;)

BTW, don't try intimidating me. Look at my track record for shutting people down. You WILL be made an example if you go further...

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 09:04 PM
wtf..

Travis

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 09:06 PM
are you kidding that i know nothing about DIS... what would you like to know.. ask me anything... i sat through 3 seminars about ADVANCED IGNITION SYSTEMS including both DIS and COP ignition.. i went to college and we learned about this...

what would you like to know??

Travis

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 09:24 PM
well.. im off to bed.. us canadian kids need our sleep... get somthing ready for me zero.. im not as dumb as you may think i am :D

Travis

A20A1
02-09-2004, 09:24 PM
"Spark plugs wires are going away for the same reason that distributors went away. Vehicle manufacturers want to reduce costs and improve ignition performance and reliability. Plug wires are an assembly line nuisance, and are often the weak link in today’s distributorless ignition systems..."

Now from reading that, I get the full impression that the COP is still a DIS setup.
Anyways DIS is DIS with or without the wires from the secondary coil terminal.

Zero and DX don't start Sh*t in my section of the board... thank you. :)

zero.counter
02-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Well, I had a problem a couple of years ago. My car (sr20det powered S13) used to run great in all rpm ranges except for whenever I sat at idle. It would do so somewhat inconsistently and stumble and or hesitated once in a while like it is missing. My mileage got shitty after a while as well.

My problem was resolved within a day, but can you guess what it was?

I do remember once that you said the same thing, but about a completely different subject, on how you knew everything there was to know and I asked you a question and you never replied. It was concerning matt and V-TEC i believe back in june of last year...SEARCH

Why is it that when we are young and without wisdom, we claim to know everything but when we are older we realize we know nothing?

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 09:29 PM
theres no way i can make an educated guess without running some diagnostic tests... its probably somthing simple like new plugs or somthing, but if you dont have a real question im outy.. goodnight

Travis

zero.counter
02-09-2004, 09:31 PM
I will reply only when the answer has been given...Anyways Chad, it is possible to do so with the ignition system but will require some money to do so. You can PM me for some in depth info if you want it...

I'm done....

dXsquared
02-09-2004, 09:35 PM
my posts only go to last december??? i can only go back 500 posts.. anyway, i wont be able to answer your question... so i guess your quiting...

thats cool.. again, ask me any questions you want.. ill have an answer in a snap.. but none of this.. once i had a 79 datsun pickup adn it did this.. what was wrong??

Travis

A20A1
02-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Was something loose and you fixed it? or did it fix itself?

I would have said loose plug or wire.
Weak battery or alt.
Loose battery connetion... or bad gorund.

A20A1
02-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to put direct ignition on a A20A3 engine where the ignition coil would be directly on top of the spark plug like on the new general motors cars. Maybe it would be possible to adapt the ignition system from GM's 2.2 ecotec engine?

If you go with a COP DIS or a WIRED DIS system you'll still need the crank position sensor.

Also if you read the links posted below you'll see that a COP DIS isn't used when placed near the exhaust manifold. If you use the COP DIS system on our SOHC motor it will place the coils in close proximity to the Exhaust Manifold/Header. Therefore I would recomend you stick with a WIRED DIS. DOHC motors like in the pic above keep the plugs and coils away from the Exhaust manifold.

There is no reason why you'd have to run more then a foot or so of wire from each individual coil in a WIRED DIS System... just place the coil pack(s) closer to the plugs.

bobafett
02-10-2004, 10:39 AM
im not gonna read this hwole thread, but seans car uses DIS, and he has plug wires... which proved travis right, and one of the other guys wrong. just FYI

smufguy
02-11-2004, 09:35 AM
I have long wanted to see this and Sean is the only one who have cleaverly achieved it. Its not only some cars now are using Direct Ignition, pretty much mos of the high end and technically advanced cars are using this type of ignition, I have seen this on my aunts 93 Infinity, i see it in my friends STI, and u can keep the list going on and on. and this whole DIS, TEC and whatever comes under Direct Ignition Which is basically done without a distributor firing the engines, i would say is not a benefit unless ur running a race motor or a Turbo motor. This is, as most of us know, to keep the ignition timing and spark under control, which Sean did an excellent job on. BUt for a carb with not too much done to it, its a cool idea to have, but not a beneficial one to say. If it helps, get an aftermarket coil and stuff it would be good.