PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensor bad?

Dennis
02-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Someone said one of my o2 sensors were bad but I have no idea what that is or how I can tell if it's bad or what? :help:

Blkblurr
02-10-2004, 11:05 AM
They are sticking out of the exhaust manifold just below the spark plugs (2) There is a procedure for testing these in the honda service manual and it requires measuring the resistance at cold and hot if I remember correctly. I replaced both of mine and they cost $25 each. I used an open side socket to take them out and put the new ones in.

BITESIZE
02-10-2004, 11:17 AM
You might as well replace both of them.

Mac
02-10-2004, 03:03 PM
OK, you got a carb engine right? If so then there is only one O2 sensor. It is on the exhaust mainfold. Sticks out the left side as you look at it if I remember right. Any way to check it (will be the same for fuel injected) warm up the engine and unplug the sensor. Measure the voltage from the connector to ground. At 5000 rpm the voltage should be higher than 0.6 volts. Then release the throttle and the voltage should less than 0.4 volts. If its not then the sensor is bad.

johnwc723
02-10-2004, 06:11 PM
its real hard to test stuff like that, you are supposed to replace them every once in awhile anways i woudl just go ahead and do it, get the ones at nopionline.com i got the NKG (NGK?) ones that were like $18 each you had to splice the connector but thats easy as hell and saves you about $15 each!

Neuspeed87lx
02-10-2004, 06:35 PM
if you have an osciliscope you can watch the o2 sensor switching .....

aCCo[R]D
02-10-2004, 06:40 PM
ok, theres two wires if i want to connect a chip which one should it be the green one on top or the clear at the bottom?

smufguy
02-11-2004, 09:09 AM
D']ok, theres two wires if i want to connect a chip which one should it be the green one on top or the clear at the bottom?

the 88-89 uses two O2 sensors. one for each two cylinders, They call them both primary senrors for god knwos what reason, but i just call them primary for the cylider 1-4 and secondary for the 3-2 cylinders. u are not supposed to switch them around, as in plug the secondary and primary around.

If anyone of ur two sensors go bad, just pull that out, splice the old wire out, put a butt connertor or twist and solder it and tape it to the new sensor and put it back in, its easy as that, U can use a really good wrench, adjustable wrench or pipe wrench to get the old one out, it would make ur life a lot easier if ur under the car.

AUTOZONE sells BOSH sensors for around 15 bucks, i got mine not to long back, and they work fine.

Blkblurr
02-11-2004, 10:26 AM
some places will let you borrow a socket with the side cut out of it for the wire to replace these.