PDA

View Full Version : ok...but can anybody tell me if this is normal

jteuton
07-07-2002, 01:23 PM
I put a 180 thermostat in and the coolant runs around that. The guage in the dash always look good (coolant temp wise) BUT the valve cover gets so damn hot you can't touch it and when you take the filler cap off,,,,a little bit of (a. blowby, b.steam, c.smoke) i'm not sure comes out of the oil filler cap. Is this normal. I mean after spirited driving is any of yalls valve covers really hot and you have to take a rag to take the filler cap off. I just wanted to be sure since i figured i had this thing running right now.....JTeuton

Sean
07-07-2002, 02:26 PM
id think the exhuast valve guides may be a little worn.

YK86
07-07-2002, 02:31 PM
I think that's normal. The valve cover gets hot even after 5 or 10 minutes of idling.

jteuton
07-07-2002, 03:16 PM
yeah....somebody told me it was just heat vapor cause the oil gets so hot. But it doesn't use oil and everything in the head has been reworked so i know it isn't the guides (assuming the shop did it right) but doesn't 4 cylinders in theory get hotter than v6 cause they are smaller and if have to work harder???...

pimp86LX
07-07-2002, 08:42 PM
well what do you mean by "work harder" indeed they move faster but the p/w ratio is like what 22? 21? not to much different from a v6 in a bigger car (of same era)

i'm most likely wrong thats just my understanding of it

shepherd79
07-08-2002, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by jteuton
I put a 180 thermostat in
is that a temperature when termostat opens or it is when it is fully open?
where did you get this termostat? it is not one of those high performance one is it?
i had one on my car it caused all kind of problems with cooling.
let me find the specs for right termostat.