PDA

View Full Version : I think it's dying (bad manual tranny)

jb2wheels
02-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Hello 3Geez,

I think my 290000 mile 87 LX 5 speed tranny is dying. It makes a metallic rubbing noise directly related to speed and load. Can't hear it at cruise, but can hear it while accellerating or coasting. Happens in every gear.

Possibly an axle problem, but my $ is on a bad differential bearing.

I changed the tranny fluid last weekend so I could get a look at it. No metal - I expected to see some.

Any comments or experience?

accordlxi2.0
02-10-2004, 07:32 PM
could be a bearing. . . .

Blkblurr
02-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Have you changed the clutch and throwout bearings before? May be time.

AZmike
02-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Have you changed the clutch and throwout bearings before? May be time.

The throwout bearing would only make noise when the clutch was disengaged. Wheels, if you're willing to drop the transmission and pull it apart the bearing itself is probably not too expensive. Otherwise a whole transmission isn't that much as long as you can get it from the right place and can install it yourself.

Blkblurr
02-11-2004, 03:58 AM
I wasn't suggesting the throwout bearing was making the noise. I was suggesting that a badly worn clutch which may be slipping was causing the noise. Diff bearings could do it as well but I suspect it would happen all the time, not just when the load on the tranny is changing.

jb2wheels
02-11-2004, 05:55 PM
HI Blkblurr,
I hadn't thought about the clutch. It does not obviously slip, but I will pay more attention to it over the next few days.
BTW - this is clutch #2. I replaced the original with new honda parts at 175K miles. That one obviously slipped - like driving a non-lockup automatic.