PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearings

BMS
02-11-2004, 12:53 AM
I need to know what to do with my wheel bearings. In another realted post, I was told that it took one member about 45 min to replace them, but as the Hayne's manual tells it, I have to take the knuckle off and take the whole thing into a shop to have new bearings pressed in. So, is it possible to get the bearings done in my own garage, or is there more to it that I was not told?

RobT5580
02-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah they have to be pressed in either on a press or there are tools that can be used at home but i dont think that kit is cheap. Basically the alternative to a press is a setup that has a large threaded bolt and has different spacers/cups to allow you to pull out and put in new bearings. So i doubt you can get it done at home unless you have a press or that kit. Im sure people have tried to use a vice before but i dont think that will work well and would not be worth its time. Also you will need a ball joint tool to take the arm off the car or a pickle fork but that will rip your knuckle boots so its not worth it.