PDA

View Full Version : stripping

lightbulblxi
02-11-2004, 05:09 PM
ok guys, i just installed my rear strut bar, and i pulled all of the carpet out of my trunk. does anyone have any suggestions on other stuff to remove that really weighs down the car that wont make the car look like shit without it? and does anyone kno how to remove my AC?

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 05:17 PM
are you really into racing or something cuz you seem like a half-ricer? IMO I like to race every once in while but I know its dangerous so I dont get deep into it like weight reduction and stuff like that. I have like 100lbs worth of wires and audio equipment ready to go in my trunk. I think a true racer would'nt care about looks cuz he knows that his car is fast, a ricer will try to make it LOOK like it's fast cuz he knows it isn't. Am I'm right????

bobafett
02-11-2004, 05:31 PM
well some people want to get the performance by weight reduction, but arent willing to sacrifice the car to a point that it looks like ass...

there is a gray area between race and rice, that most of us fall into... some are just closer to one side than the other..

IMO, my completly gutted hatch looks fine.... but i havent taken the heat gun to all the black sound deadening shit on there yet... some people wouldnt be willing to sacrifice all the carpet etc... but i dont care lol..
on the other hand, i DO do some cosmetic mods like blacking things out... its pointless, but i think it looks good so i do it anyway. ;)

if he wants to gut his car more power too him! :D :D :D i dont think it makes him a ricer

k-roy
02-11-2004, 05:31 PM
The AC removal is a straitforeward removal. Drain the lines then remove the pump, bracket, condensor (in front of the radiator), lines and the evaporator(below glove box). Then there is a solonoid to boost the idle, you remove that and cap of the vacuum lines. I have removed all but the evaporator and it shaved a good 50 pounds. The bracket on the motor for the PS and AC are iron, pretty hefty. You can also remove the power steering, I think its useless on a light car.

lightbulblxi
02-11-2004, 05:35 PM
i am trying to go into auto cross, and i figure less weight will make it handle and accelerate better, but this is also gonna be my daily driver, so i still want it too look descent, and be comfortable, instead of takin off all the door panels and seats, so it looks like a pile of shit. i mean, y the fuck would i want my car to look like ur taillights???? and bobafett, what all do u have gutted? u got pics?

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 05:47 PM
well some people want to get the performance by weight reduction, but arent willing to sacrifice the car to a point that it looks like ass...

there is a gray area between race and rice, that most of us fall into... some are just closer to one side than the other..

IMO, my completly gutted hatch looks fine.... but i havent taken the heat gun to all the black sound deadening shit on there yet... some people wouldnt be willing to sacrifice all the carpet etc... but i dont care lol..
on the other hand, i DO do some cosmetic mods like blacking things out... its pointless, but i think it looks good so i do it anyway. ;)

if he wants to gut his car more power too him! :D :D :D i dont think it makes him a ricer

i am trying to go into auto cross, and i figure less weight will make it handle and accelerate better, but this is also gonna be my daily driver, so i still want it too look descent, and be comfortable, instead of takin off all the door panels and seats, so it looks like a pile of shit. i mean, y the fuck would i want my car to look like ur taillights???? and bobafett, what all do u have gutted? u got pics?

Okay first of all who said he a was ricer Bobafat? I just think that when you strip you car for weight reduction and then you add mods such bodykit, spoiler , strut bars etc. your kinda keeping the weight the same. And second of all lightbubble, since you wanna start cursing....well FUCK you too then.

dXsquared
02-11-2004, 05:50 PM
im going to guy my entire rear hatch... well everything from the front seats back.. i dont want to have people trying to jump in the back of my 2 seater.. its a pain in the ass... im also gonna take the A/C out, run NO subs, but add a 50watt RMSX2 amp to my front speakers... no rear speakers... two seats, dash, door panels, console.. very basic... im even gonna cut out my rear floor and throw some thin tin down instead of the heavy steel...

Travis

lightbulblxi
02-11-2004, 05:53 PM
originally posted by soljaboy2000
Okay first of all who said he a was ricer Bobafat? I just think that when you strip you car for weight reduction and then you add mods such bodykit, spoiler , strut bars etc. your kinda keeping the weight the same. And second of all lightbubble, since you wanna start cursing....well FUCK you too then.

damn man, u need to chill out before u get ur ass banned. u go arond here acting like a jackass and making fun of everyones names and what they say, and u expect us to respect you! i dont work like that! and just to let you know, strut bars have a
purpose! a lot of people get them for looks, but they have a purpose other than that.

bobafett
02-12-2004, 02:52 AM
yeah soljaboy u do need to chill, nobody is really insulting anyone in this thread....

and just cause someone curses or swears doesnt mean its directed at another member, and doesnt mean u need to get excited. and not to pick on u, but the last few threads i have read u seem to jump people for little things, and try to start fights...

i mean i poke fun at things here and there, but im just a smartass, but i dont like to start any shit.. ya know...

and lightbulb: my car has everything gone from the front seats back. speakers seats carpet, plastic, everything is gone :)

http://www.com-tech-online.com/car/int1.jpg
http://www.com-tech-online.com/car/int2.jpg

A20A1
02-12-2004, 03:16 AM
NICE AND CLEAN :D

damn man, u need to chill out before u get ur a** banned. u go arond here acting like a jacka** and making fun of everyones names and what they say, and u expect us to respect you! i dont work like that! and just to let you know, strut bars have a
purpose! a lot of people get them for looks, but they have a purpose other than that.

On the possibility of being banned part I can agree, you need to settle down... this isn't my section of the board but we don't need that kind of behavior from anyone. I hate getting involved in this cause it's just a waste of time... time I could spend reading more useful and informative post, and making my own replies, I hate having to filter thru 15 posts of pure crap just to find 1 good post amongst them all. You can fight on the net all you want... just not here.

I'd hate to single you out Solja... I don't go looking for bad posts and usually ignore them. but I'm just letting you know cause I'd hate to see you get banned.

blazin3gen
02-12-2004, 11:23 AM
damn chris u really gutted the thing lol take the pass seat out :D

speedpenguin
02-12-2004, 11:26 AM
i know this is now off the topic of soljaboy but... if by the "black sound deadening shit" you mean the tar that lines the interior under carpeting, you don't need a heat gun for that. just spread some dry ice over it and leave it for about 20 mins. then you can just smack it right off. i read it in honda tuning so i know it's true... lol

k-roy
02-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey Bobafett

http://www.com-tech-online.com/car/int2.jpg

Why did you leave the rear seatbelts?

bobafett
02-12-2004, 12:55 PM
i kept them because i am PLANNING on putting back the rear seats, they only weight like 10lbs, and that way for convenience if i ever need to take more than just amber somewhere, i can do it legaly. it only takes a few minutes to remove all that shit... so i can take it out when i go to the track..

that being said, i really dont want to put them back in, and im probably just going to remove the rear belts as well! hhehehe ;)

and the pass seat is staying cause i have an amp under there. :)

im getting 1 12" sub and another amp, any smooth suggestions on how to pull that off and have it look good??

what do u think of the gutted hatch. its not cleaned up yet, but it will get there :D yeah i know there are better ways of getting that stuff out. i will probably just wait for a warm day and then rock out back there with a putty knife :)

lightbulblxi
02-12-2004, 01:20 PM
yea man, thats pretty gutted. dont look super bad either, u should spray bomb it!

speedpenguin
02-13-2004, 11:51 AM
it's pretty cool IMO...
gutted cars kick ass, not sure if i should keep the carpet in mine, what are the disadvantages besides noise?

erics86dx
02-13-2004, 01:05 PM
id say noise is pretty much it, that and vidrations, but yeah your hatch is nice, i had my backseat out for a hour or so it felt funny, but i then got some ideas for a new sound setup, my idea is crazy but thats a ways down the road.

A20A1
02-13-2004, 01:05 PM
it's pretty cool IMO...
gutted cars kick ass, not sure if i should keep the carpet in mine, what are the disadvantages besides noise?
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/319000-319999/319268_85_full.jpg
Carpet weight is minimal... stuff under the dash should be removed though... if you're not using it. Like the heater core and a/c blower motor.

erics86dx
02-13-2004, 01:26 PM
lol its a auto, thats a waste

A20A1
02-13-2004, 01:31 PM
lol its a auto, thats a waste

:bs:

Desist little man.

bobafett
02-13-2004, 04:11 PM
lol an auto thats faster than most of our cars though! ;)

i still watch that 7500rpm video and wonder whats wrong with u mike! ;)hahhah i wish i had the balls to do that to my poor 3g

speedpenguin
02-13-2004, 05:58 PM
woa... awesome...
definitely taking the AC blower, but i don't think i'll take out the heater core, i do have to drive this car in winter

Dopefish
02-17-2004, 08:43 PM
rofl, i would be afraid of stepping on/somehow damaging those two circular seals. those go right into the gas tank.

89cordlx
02-18-2004, 12:11 PM
there is something appealing about not having a real interior...... good idea for the future when I get a second car.

danronian
02-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Since were on weight reduction...when I bought some 89 hatch buckets with the flip forward switch on the inside top of the seat I noticed they were quite alot heavier than the old seats in my 89 lx-i. Just figured I would let you guys know since sedan seats can be easily swapped into a hatch by switching the fraim rails if you were willing to give up the more attractive hatch seat pattern.

speedpenguin
02-19-2004, 01:22 PM
is the DX rubber bumper lighter than the toned ones off the higher models? or not? or are they both the same?

DigitaLuminescence
02-19-2004, 04:37 PM
To my knowledge, the LX bumpers are a tad bit heavier than the DX bumpers (i own both, and i'm not sure about the LXi/etc.), but if your aiming on lightening I would start with something a little less... trivial. On the other hand, you could remove the metal bumper support and foam crap, that would cut off some weight. I would start with heavier stuff though.

For me, I aim on
1st. removing interior (all of it),
2nd. most of my sound set up (except front component speakers, two small amps, and a fairly lightweight 8" or 10" sub),
3rd. removing engine/etc. components that I don't need
and 4th. getting several of my body panels replaced with CF or fibreglass (by a friend of mine who does custom work).

BTW, I like the interior (or lack thereof) A20A1.

89cordlx
02-19-2004, 06:46 PM
what did you guys do about power windows?

speedpenguin
02-20-2004, 11:44 AM
reason i was asking is cuz i have a DX. i know the bumper swap is popular but if the rubber one is a little lighter, i'll keep it. i kind of like the way it looks anyway. as for power windows... haha! my car doesn't have those either!

N-Man
02-22-2004, 06:26 PM
lol an auto thats faster than most of our cars though!...

Even if the car had all of its interior and then some, it'll probably be faster.

rally88lxi
09-23-2004, 07:05 PM
I know this is an old thread, but i was really interseted in weight reduction , so i thought i would post. first, what is entialed with removing the A/C, has anyone done it that could give me some advice? Next, I was thinking about removing my power steering because it leaks already, i have heard some say that this is bad for it, any advice? also would removing the cruise control save anything, and how would i do it.

I have already removed my entire stereo system, if you were serious about racing and weight reduction, you would too (especially the sub and amps).

MattsAccord
09-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Removing the power steering would lose maybe a pound or 2 but i frees up alot of space in the engine compartment.

keruhas184
09-23-2004, 08:01 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=1515

PS does free up a bit of power, not through weight reduction though. But parking lots will become your worst enemies.

89cordlx
09-25-2004, 11:41 AM
oh, in that how-to, you don't need to remove your PS pump to remove your AC. Especially if you are working from underneith the car.