PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get an alarm...

tmac
02-11-2004, 05:36 PM
I would like some input on makes and models. I don't know much about any alarms so links or details would be great. I would like the keyless entry as I have power locks. Also wondering if there is any way to install an imobilizer(sp)? Any input will be great. Thanks...

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 05:52 PM
I installed one of those pager alarm with keyless entry. I got it on Ebay and its pretty tight. Heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2451879125&category=33721

Hash_man_Se_i
02-11-2004, 05:57 PM
I have heard nothing but great things about the new Compustars, I am considering upgrading to one myself.

It is a 2-way pager, or not, with a built in car starter, door pins, hood pins, trunk pins, and shock sensor. You can also program things such as neon lights in to the remote.

Very cool unit, and a local shop has gotten insane range with some of the ones they have installed, the range is waaay under rated.

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 06:02 PM
hey man sorry to burst your bubble but I strongly suggest dont get the car starter ones. It just makes it easier for the thief. I heard all kinds of car thefts recently on the east coast cuz people like to use that to warm up they car during this time of year.

dXsquared
02-11-2004, 06:10 PM
as soon as you hit the brakes to switch into gear, or hit the clutch to shift into gear, it will die... i have installed many starters... i would know.. plus the steering wheel is locked till you put the key in it!

Travis

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 06:14 PM
wow.....look who it is....Hey man i was just giving a suuggetion cuz I heard for a fact that these type of car thefts rises during the winter season.

dXsquared
02-11-2004, 06:16 PM
yah.. thats cuz people leave there fuckin cars running and unlocked when they go into a store real quick...

if you dont know the facts, keep your mouth shut!

Travis

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 06:22 PM
uh...no is was specifically stated that the rate RISES cuz more people tend to start their vehicles while still inside their homes or whatever to warm it up. That other stuff like running into the store real quick happens everyday with or without an alarm. But hey you the genius so whatever......and nice profanity.

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 06:25 PM
Hey TMAC I can show you how to install the best kill switch while you waiting to get your alarm. This what I did and I still forget where I installed it.

dXsquared
02-11-2004, 06:30 PM

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 06:37 PM
whatever dude.......i'm just trying to help the guy get an alarm and i dont see why starting your car with the push of a buuton makes it more theft deterrent.

tmac
02-11-2004, 07:15 PM
thanks so far, too bad this seems to be a little heated, I wont be needing a remote starter, not even really interested in one. I will look into the other suggestions later tonight

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 07:18 PM
thanks so far, too bad this seems to be a little heated, I wont be needing a remote starter, not even really interested in one. I will look into the other suggestions later tonight
LOL hey make sure you take note of who started it too

soljaboy2000
02-11-2004, 09:17 PM
I like the way you change your message above. Excuse me for the inconvience moderators but just to let you know...this what his quote originally was:

wanna see profanity??
FUCK SHIT COCK EATING WHORE BITCH !!! thats profane... gotta a problem?? lick my nuts!

Traviss

Hash_man_Se_i
02-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Stop arguing, shit.... IF installed right, it does not make it easier for the theifs to steal the car IF you have an alarm AND starter, because not only is the alarm still armed, and doors still locked, but if the theif does get inside they cannot just drive away in the car.

Anyways, I would still highly reccomend the Compustar, from all the good things I have heard, and seen about it. You can always just not put in the remote starter part, and leave everything else, and this will also bring costs down a fair amount.

Otherwise, there are the more basic compustars, and Alpine makes a fairly solid alarm as well.

soljaboy2000
02-12-2004, 12:32 AM
hey did you read....the guy said he's not really interested in a remote start anyway. And besides, c'mon now...if a potential thief sees a running car with no driver...................................
jus my .02 uh i mean 50 cents.

tmac
02-12-2004, 02:15 PM
How much more difficult is it to add keyless entry?

erics86dx
02-12-2004, 08:24 PM
hey man I just got a autoalarm and according lol (accord-ing) to the place i went to autopage invented the alarm and so far it has worked wonders, and my friends have put my car through several lil tests and its great, sometimes a little to sensetive but that can be adjusted, oh and make sure you get the start kill feature with it, basically if someone hot wires the car or whatever the alarm wont turn off thus not allowing the car to start its great stuff

i meant to add autopage alarm, sorry about that

RobT5580
02-16-2004, 09:21 AM
So far the best alarm that i have used/seen is my Clifford RS? with 2 way paging remote. Once you see the quality of this unit you would be happy. I had a knock off one before and my friend bought the clifford and as soon as i seen it i bought one for a little over $200. It has plenty of options as well to operate different items and even comes with relays for power locks, starter kill etc. I am very happy with mine.

As for keyless entry once you have an alarm all you will need are the actuators ($15 or so on ebay) and possibly relays if your alarm dont have them and of course some wire to wire them up. I did mine a while back and i am glad i did them and it only cost $30 to do them.

zerotap
02-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Hey Rob I got a Clifford alarm and I personally don't care for it. What particular model are you using. The Clifford I got came with the car when I got it and turned me off on Clifford because of poor quality in my opinion.
So far the best alarm that i have used/seen is my Clifford RS? with 2 way paging remote. Once you see the quality of this unit you would be happy. I had a knock off one before and my friend bought the clifford and as soon as i seen it i bought one for a little over $200. It has plenty of options as well to operate different items and even comes with relays for power locks, starter kill etc. I am very happy with mine.

As for keyless entry once you have an alarm all you will need are the actuators ($15 or so on ebay) and possibly relays if your alarm dont have them and of course some wire to wire them up. I did mine a while back and i am glad i did them and it only cost $30 to do them.

Nate2310
02-27-2004, 08:36 AM
I have a black widow alarm/keyless entry. I'm pleased with it and it has worked very well for me. It was 180 installed because it was on clearance at bestbuy cause they are getting new models in. So I thought it was a good deal.

RobT5580
02-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Zerotap, mine is a RS model with the LCD remote its still on ebay for $200-$250 but the quality is definatly great and top notch. I have also heard great things about Compustar but i have yet to see one in person. They are a little more money and installation is supposed to be tough even for DIY people but i have not seen the system. The range is also very high on them and have heard many positive things about them and people say the range is incredible.

My old alarm had better range than my Clifford but the range is still great but i have not messed with my antenna location yet which i believe is why my range is cut down.