PDA

View Full Version : trick fuel... anyone used it before

AccordArizona89
02-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Well my moms boyfriend was telling me aout it today and he said it adds HP like you wouldnt believe... And he said its hella expensive now then from his days. has anyone ever ran with the tricked fuel?

autox7
02-11-2004, 07:24 PM
I have not run Trick, but I have used 76 110 octane, and Sunoco Premium which is 104 octane. Unless you are running without a catalytic converter, I would stay away from racing fuel. Otherwise you will be choking off any advantage that race gas would give you.

Having said that, the gas will give you a consistant horsepower/torque increase across the power band. I would not say that you will be making crazy horsepower with just race gas, but you will notice better throttle response and better pep in the upper rev range.

And yes, it can be very expensive. I buy the stuff and a little known race shop and still pay about $5.25 a gallon. The only time I have paid less than that was when they were near the bottom of the barrell, and I paid $5 for about 3 gallons.

shepherd79
02-11-2004, 07:34 PM
what is trick fuel?

autox7
02-11-2004, 08:11 PM
High octane racing fuel. Often used in drag race cars, sprint cars, NASCAR, etc...

riced_roach
02-11-2004, 08:34 PM
using race fuel wont give you more power unless you've increased your compression. High octane is less prone to detonation. Adding 104 to a stock engine does absolutely nothing.

autox7
02-11-2004, 08:46 PM
That's very true, if you are thinking about just using race gas and not doing anything else to your car, you are wasting your money.

NXRacer
02-11-2004, 11:34 PM
i've seem small improvements in power and mileage with a mix of normal a and race. I'd only put like 2-3 gallons in a full tank. Its basically like adding octane booster. If you were to fun full race gas, you'd blow your motor within a week.

riced_roach
02-12-2004, 08:15 AM
i've seem small improvements in power and mileage with a mix of normal a and race. I'd only put like 2-3 gallons in a full tank. Its basically like adding octane booster. If you were to fun full race gas, you'd blow your motor within a week.

"you'd blow your motor within a week" ABSOLUTELY incorrect. Race gas is a high octane fuel. The mixture which increases the octane isn't like using av gas. High octane fuel is less volatile or 'harder to burn" than regular pump gas. its not gonna make any difference to a stock engine but you'll just burn away money for no reason. The fuel will only burn when the spark ignition tells it to. It will not ignite due to hot carbon deposits. This is why it has less chances of detonating in a high compression engine. Octane boost in a can is a gimmick which only increase aprox .2 of an octane...a total waste of money.

If anything there are dyno tests to prove more power can be attained in using a lower octane grade fuel in a lower compression engine. High octane will reduce chances of detonating in a race motor but in a stock engine its just simply a waste of money with bragging rights which is moot to the knoweldgeable racer. When your running at least 11:1 then I'd suggest mixing race fuel with premium pump. 10:1 you can easily get a way with premium pump gas with no problems (if your not too advanced and do not have high carbon deposits in your engine/cylinder head)

NXRacer
02-12-2004, 08:22 AM
hmm. thats interesting. i always thought racing gas was harmful for your motor unless you had it built to handle it.

87accordlxph
02-12-2004, 03:43 PM
I've never heard of such a product nor would I want to use it cause my motor is not built to handle that kind of fuel octane and I don't want to "melt" bearings, ring lands, etc.
Higher octane burns slower and it should be used in a high compression motor
to reduce detonation. (like someone has said already)
I use Sunoco premium (94). This octane rating is found in Canada and then there's jet fuel 115. Anyway, our motors are built on an old blueprint design compared to a 4th gen Accord. 3th gen Accords have a 9.1 to 1 (carbed) and a 9.3 to 1 (FI) comp. ratio ;therefore, it is recommended that premium fuel should be feed to our vehicles.
I have increased the ignition timing in my vechicle as well so that's why I buy 91 or higher octane in this case my fav. gaso is Sunoco 94 cause you get what you pay for in octane rating per Litre.

I think for all those that replied to this post (in this regard) all agree with me.

-Mike from Sarnia!

riced_roach
02-13-2004, 08:20 AM
jet fuel is rated with a different octane rating since jets run at a low rpm for a long period of time unlike a cas engine. Not a good comparison to apples to apples. actually not recommended.

NXRacer
02-13-2004, 08:47 AM
i have a friend who put airplane fuel in a car he was about ready to junk. That car was doing 100mph in no time. He said when he got done driving it, the head was about 1" off the block due to heat....... CRAZY

Darkside
02-14-2004, 11:10 PM
I run 98 octane cool blue regularly and you can feel a differance just dont run leaded race gas with a cat in.98 is $3.00 a gallon.

riced_roach
02-15-2004, 12:22 PM
I run 98 octane cool blue regularly and you can feel a differance just dont run leaded race gas with a cat in.98 is $3.00 a gallon.

Whats your compression ratio?? stock? if so I highly doubt any difference. Seat of your pants testing is moot. You must prove your "difference" on the track. You may be burning money with no gains but only a piece of mind and bragging rights using race fuel.

The only thing I can see with your findings is that you have a lot "hotspots" of carbon deposits on you head and areas where the piston is at TDC. That particular area of deck height that the 1st piston rings to not contact the cylinder wall or your piston top is carboned up. You may be detonating and the high octane is solving your problem. OR if your overly advanced in ignition timing. Problem is doing so will just hinder top end performance due to the piston location and ignition timing. If the spark happens before the piston meets tdc your just gonna pound your con rod bearings.

smufguy
02-16-2004, 04:03 PM
European and Japanese Octane ratings are different from US octane rating.

I dont know where on god's name u found a sunoco with a premium of 104 octane in the US cause their Premium nationwide is the same as others, 93 octane, but they do sell 94 for a rediculous price a gallon.

I believe the race fuel is Methanol/ Methyl Alcohol. You can use Xylene or Toluene for raising your Octane level. BUt u have to use a gallon of either one of those to ur tank of 15 gallons to raise it to 94 octane if ur running 93 octane. Besides, 93 octane is my preference cause it makes my car idle good and the responsiveness is pretty good, besides that, it does nothing to your car.

Fuel line Antifreeze and injector cleaners are usually Methanol and they are bad only to your the lining of your gas tank nothing more. You can fill up jet fuel in your car (purified Kerosene) and still run fine due to less carbon in it and u reduce the carbon deposits hence.

Race fuel and alcohol have a high heating value (thermodynamically speaking) and if anyone has taken ICE (internal Combustion Engine) course like me in your Engineering class you would know what and why these.

So yeah, technically if you found a way to run full Alcohol in your car, you would be getting higher power based on its chemical reaction, but not when its mixed with gasoline.

NOTE: Dont be mistaken from running alcohol to get more power with rinning higher octane GASOLINE to get more power. cause its not true. :cool2:

Darkside
02-16-2004, 04:05 PM
What... race gas in a v8 has a up to(and sometimes more) than a 50 hp gain on the dyno. Beyond that My engine came from Japan and pump Gas in Japan is higher that 98 octane. I'm not worried and have run race gas though many engines all without problem. I've raced people with and without race gas and there is a difference in margin of victory and that's good enough for me.

n88accordLX-i
02-16-2004, 04:08 PM
I would think you would burn holes in your pistons running a tank of 110+ octane on a stock engine, because higher octane burns alot hotter correct?

smufguy
02-16-2004, 04:10 PM
What... race gas in a v8 has a up to(and sometimes more) than a 50 hp gain on the dyno. Beyond that My engine came from Japan and pump Gas in Japan is higher that 98 octane. I'm not worried and have run race gas though many engines all without problem. I've raced people with and without race gas and there is a difference in margin of victory and that's good enough for me.

Leaded gas has a lot more heating value than our regular gas in the US. thats why the Japenese ratings are a lot higher. Besides, the one and only reason we in the US dont use leaded gasoline because they clog up our catalytic converter. take it off and run leaded gasoline (If u can find it in the US) and u will notice the power.

riced_roach
02-16-2004, 06:22 PM

What compression?? You see people blindly assume that race gas will give them more power. If your engine requires high octane to reduce pinging/detonation then of coarse that would mean you are losing hp with lower octane fuel.

So in your example of 50hp gain in a v8 I would say that is not a good example because there is no reference to what octane was used before the race gas. I highly doubt 50hp can be gained unless the guy was stupid enough to use 87 octane on a 12:1 or higher c/r engine. I'd say 11:1 is borderline with 94 octane unless a massive duration cam is used on the street but that just effects driveability.

Alcohol mix will produce more hp since it is a cooler burning fuel. Engine combustion temps will be lower compared to race fuel but the issue is the amount of gph of fuel used will be higher with alcohol compared to gasoline.

Race fuel will be absolutely fine with a stock engine but that a riduculous use of premium fuel since there is absolutely no need to use such a high octane. NO it will not run any hotter since higher octane fuel requires a spark. Cheap gas can ignite just by hotspots on the engine which is the cause of detonation.

Race fuel doesn't win races if the engine doesn't require it. If you build a super high compression race motor of coarse you must use high octane BUT if you have an engine that can run on pump gas there would be NO ADVANTAGE using it.