PDA

View Full Version : Egr

Frankfurt812
02-11-2004, 08:47 PM
how are you supposed to take this thing off? We cannot even get to the bolts, 87 accord lxi, what the car is doing is it can be in nuetral or 1st gear (5speed) and put the gas pedal to the floor and it acks like it is overloading itsself, it will stay around 3000-3500 rpms. we have replaced, plugs, plugwires, distributor cap, rotor button, fuel filter, and o2 sensor, the pgmfi light keeps coming on and the comp is flashing a code 12, so we read on here about the egr and we dunno how to get it off, and what is your alls opinion on maybe being the catalatic convertor? we cleaned the idle air control and now are stumped. i cant get any answers anywhere, ive had the car a short time but i really like it. i really dont understand the egr system and would aprreciate you all if u could offer some advise. also the car seems to overheat but the temps not going up.

Blkblurr
02-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Do you have a shop manual? If so, there is a description in the helm manual that describes how the egr system works. I suspect your cat is plugged and your egr is reacting to back pressure from the cat. Could be both problems though. The egr burns a portion of exhaust gas to help reduce pollutiion. It has a valve the opens with a sensor that monitors the open and closed postion of the valve. When you get code 12 it's usually because the valve did not open far enough or did not close.

TINBOAT
02-12-2004, 06:18 AM
You might have to unbolt a couple of brackets for the vaccuum hose mounting points, but it's only 2 nuts and an electrical plug that holds the EGR in.....should take about 20 minutes to change it, and if you dont have a noticable difference, then you gotta go with Blkblrr's advice and change the cat.
It's amazing how a bad EGR can make these cars run so shitty.
Good luck !!!

TINBOAT
02-12-2004, 06:24 AM
...as for the overheating issue, make sure the cooling system is bled properly. The bleeder is located on top of the thermostat/sensor housing. Crack the bleeder and top off the radiator with coolant untill there is a steady, no bubble stream of coolant flowing from the bleeder (and make sure the heater control is in the full hot position).
Good luck !!

danronian
02-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Could be a blown head gasket, but first check for coolant bubbles. Also check the color of the oil and coolant.

grove
07-27-2004, 08:57 AM
for removing the egr valve just use a 12mm swivel socket. works great. and if you dont have one. well now is the chance to run to sears and buy more tools. :rockon:

Robs89LXi
07-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Sounds like Danronian may be right; sounds like a blown head gasket. Any oil in the water or vice versa? I had an older Accord overheat and blow the head gasket without it ever showing hot. Turned out to be a bad radiator thermosensor. $400 job caused by a $10 part. Pull your dipstick and see if you have water in the oil (milky brown/white appearance).

Slavic
08-08-2004, 12:39 AM
how are you supposed to take this thing off? We cannot even get to the bolts...What's going on here? Some posts got deleted/lost recently? I'm sure I posted this before.

Check out the Block the EGR (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34225) thread. I posted instructions with pics on there that You may find helpful when taking the EGR off. As per your problem, I have code 12 flashing on one car and the only symptom is bad fuel efficiency. With that in mind it sounds like you have problems other than the EGR. I think I recall reading that someone with your symptoms (loss of power at high RPMs) reported his cat being clogged up.

AccordAddict
08-08-2004, 07:34 AM
I need to replace my EGR Valve also. i have the shop manual, what section describes replacing the EGR valve cant find it, the closest i saw was a picture of the egr tube. :dunno:

Slavic
08-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Dude, In post just before yours I said "Check out the Block the EGR thread (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34225). I posted instructions with pics there that You may find helpful when taking the EGR off."

I'don't know where it is in the manual, but take time to familiarize yourself with it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Slavic
08-22-2004, 12:51 PM
The instructions for KQ and KX EGR troubleshooting were hiding in the carburated secion on page 186 & 187 of 1986 shop manual (62se300.pdf) (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html)