PDA

View Full Version : car shaking when engaging the clutch

rdn
02-12-2004, 02:02 AM
hi guys,

i have this problem with my car....when i want to start up smoothly, first gear and slowly engaging the clutch, the whole car starts to shake and it does so until the clutch is fully engaged. the only solution i found to that is to engage the clutch faster + additional increased gas, but this is not the way i want it to be (the clutch feels really good otherwise)

have any of you guys any idea what that might be?

cheers!

A20A1
02-12-2004, 02:10 AM
hmm... there is a million things I can think of... mostly involving basic maintenance.

How's your idle?

You might have a vacuum leak
PCV valve good?
Is this when cold or it doesn't matter?

rdn
02-12-2004, 02:24 AM
hmm... there is a million things I can think of... mostly involving basic maintenance.

How's your idle?

You might have a vacuum leak
PCV valve good?
Is this when cold or it doesn't matter?

everything else is as good as it can be...perfect idle, (new electrical thigs...sparkplugs...wires...etc..), no vacum leak....temp doesn't matter..

doesn't shake due to engine missfireing etc...it feels more like a mechanical prob to me (could flywheel-clutch be something to think of?)

A20A1
02-12-2004, 02:49 AM
Do you think the relation to the pedal and the position of the clutch might be off...

or the clutch is slipping... but I dunno that much about manual trannies.

It's bugging me, the having to increase the amount of gas part make me thing it's an engine problem... and the vibration could be either engine or transmission.

rdn
02-12-2004, 04:26 AM
well...i would say that the feeling is that the clutch is not slipping at all! it feels like if the clutch was slipping a little bit, the problem would be solved...hard to describe anyway

the increasing amount of gas is not as importatant as the fast release of the clutch pedal. that would solve the 'shaking' problem, but the would feel like a Ford in stead:)

(was even thinking of the engine mounts?...)

nswst8
02-12-2004, 05:16 AM
Sound like the flywheel is glazed over. The clutch is fine at full engage, but slipping at initial engagement. Do you ride the clutch this is a major problem if you abuse the clutch.
Hope this helps, LOL
Phil :cheers:

TINBOAT
02-12-2004, 06:05 AM
You have a common case of clutch chatter. The next stage will be total clutch disc failure, and if you dont get at it very soon, it might destroy your flywheel beyond resurfacing (deep cracks), and could also destroy your input shaft bearing. The only remedy is a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. Make sure you get the flywheel resurfaced.

Sorry for the bad news...

rdn
02-12-2004, 06:31 AM
hmm....that's what i feared :(
well...i'll get to it then..even if it's a nightmare

thank's guys!

erics86dx
02-12-2004, 03:14 PM
or it could be your shifting skills lol, but seriously get whatever is wrong with your baby fixed and fast

iamvandemon
02-12-2004, 06:26 PM
what do you mean by "shake"? do you mean like a "lurch", or a front to rear shudder? if so its probably just that you are trying to make the engine do more work at a low rpm then it can.... it is only a four cylander after all. actually i am willing to bet that that is the only problem with your car.. its only cranking 120 IF that.