PDA

View Full Version : Centrifical Advance Problems?

Janiel
02-12-2004, 03:01 PM
I have a big problem. My car has no go at high rpm. What happens is that my car misses very bad at the 5000-6500 rpm. I got my ass whipped by 99' civic ex stock. I just rebuilt the engine and it does the same thing as before. I wish i could discribe the nosie the engine makes but i can tell you something it doesn't sound like a normal car when its up there. :werd:

shepherd79
02-12-2004, 03:03 PM
how is your timing?
is it set to stock settings?
you can rent vacuum pump and test the distributor advance.

Janiel
02-12-2004, 03:11 PM
I checked it and it working fine. I been through four all ready it can't be that. Have you ever tooken apart a dist. for the lx-i? And the timing is stock.

Janiel
02-12-2004, 03:19 PM
I have also noticed that the car will acc. faster if you don't punch it all the way. And i pulled the plugs and they were black. Not oily. The plugs only have about 1500 miles on them.

A20A1
02-12-2004, 04:14 PM
It could be centrifugal advance...
also
Make sure your secondary butterflies are opening

k-roy
02-12-2004, 04:19 PM
I am inclined to say its ignition related. Something in the timing or ignition.
Do you have the original cat on the car? If so do a backpressure test on the exaughst.

NXRacer
02-12-2004, 04:29 PM
if it werent for the black spark plugs, i'd say your fuel filters are clogged and its starting to starve the motor when you rev out that high.

maybe your coil is bad and cant handle the load at that high of RPM's?? You're gonna get your ass whooped by a 99 ex because its vtec and as much as i dont like vtec, you're still gonna get beat by it unless you have quite a few good mods done to your motor.

A20A1
02-12-2004, 04:44 PM
yeah it's either a rich mix or poor combustion, or a little of both.
I also agree with Kroy on the stuffed cat.

Do you smell anything burning?
are the plug gaps set right?

Janiel
02-12-2004, 05:31 PM
About the butterfly's there long gone. I have tryed two different stock coils and a msd blaster 2 coil, and same thing. In florida you don't have to pass emissions anymore and out went the cat. Fuel filter is new. I just rebuilt this engine 2 months ago. I very disapointed with the performance.

shepherd79
02-12-2004, 05:50 PM
the symproms are leaning toward the rich mixture or bad timing.
you can try swaping the black box. it has mixture adjuster in there. don't try adjusting yourself because you will screw up for sure. just get one from junk yard.
if that doesn't help. check you timing. turn distributor towards firewall. it will advance it. if that doesn't help, swap diff ignitor in distributor. if that doesn't help, i don't know what will.